Kitchen Wood Floor really cold in Winter

Our house is at around 70*F temperature, but the kitchen hardwood floor gets really cold. One of my friends suggested that since the garage is right below the kitchen, its possible the garage is not insulated properly and cold air seeps through.

Is it possible to insulate the garage ceiling (under the kitchen floor) now? Thoughts?

Thanks

SR.

Reply to
newbee

I presume it is drywalled? If you can spare the headroom, simplest way would probably be foamboard with another layer of fire-rated drywall over it. (they sell extension rings for the ceiling lights.) Also check how well the garage door and any outside doors from garage seal. If you can see daylight around them with the interior lights off, they need work.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Without a doubt.

Reply to
Van Chocstraw

Nor is the garage heated, is this cold without shoes on.

Reply to
ransley

The garage ceiling may in fact be insulated. However, it is likely that the insulation is not continuous at wall / ceiling intersections and the various pieces of material are not sealed to exclude drafts. T

Reply to
tbasc

It may or may not be insulated already, but over the garage it may be cooler in either case if the garage is 20 or 30 degrees cooler than the house.

The other factor is surface contact. Wood, tiles, and other smooth surfaces feel cooler to your feet because you have greater skin (or sock) contact compared to carpeting. Since the floor is 70° and your body is 96°, it will suck the heat right our of you.

If you suspect lack of insulation make a small hole and take a peek. If none, it can be blown in.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

It's the nature of the beast. My kids room is above the garage, and the hardwood floor is also a little cold.

Reply to
Mikepier

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in news:LJncl.8956$8 snipped-for-privacy@flpi147.ffdc.sbc.com:

I vote for Ed's comments.

Blowing it in doesn't require any severe tearing up and redoing anything. See:

for DIY.

Poke various small holes with a small drillbit (caution for pipes and wires!!) or coat hook that is bent on the end to snag some pink when you pull it out.

Is the ceiling finished or can you see the sheetrock joints & screws?

Once you poke the hole, how far does a coathook go in before it hits the floor above?

Reply to
Red Green

------------------------------------- when remodeling your kitchen or bathroom, use the experience and knowledge of your bathroom remodeling contractors. They have installed many types of flooring and have repaired/refinished a number of different types also.

Reply to
reneealberts