Concrete slab on garage floor really draws in the cold.

I'm sure that my house is constructed like many and the garage concrete floor was poured at the same time and appears to be physically connected to the driveway.

The problem is that the garage floor is ice cold during these winter months. I don't expect to do much about it with this house.

But for the future, if I build a house with a garage and a driveway, how can I avoid having a ice cold garage floor in the winter months. How is an insulated slab constructed?

Beachcomber

Reply to
Beachcomber

You could put radiant heat in the floor (before you pour it) or just "condition" the space like you would the rest of the house (vents for heat/cool).

Reply to
Red Neckerson

It is not a matter of insulation. Even with great insulation that floor will get cold. You need to add heat, and if you do that you would want to insulate to keep from loosing the heat.

Why are you so concerned about the temperature of the garage floor. The cars don't care.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

His cars may not care about the temperature of the garage floor, but if his house is like mine, the people in the bedroom above sure do.

Reply to
Hound Dog

In that case you insulate above the garage and below the bedroom. Trying to insulate the floor of the garage, will be much less effective.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan