Quick plug socket question

I'd like to move my sideboard to a particular location, but unfortunately there's a surface-mounted double plug socket in the way. I figured the easiest thing would be to simply cut a hole in the back of the sideboad to accomodate the sockets. Are there any safety reasons why this would not be advisable?

I searched Google in vain for an answer - perhaps because it's a silly question! Thanks in advance for any answers.

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Higgons

Personally, I'd find it easier to make the socket flush. It would only take me 10 minutes with an SDS drill/chisel and a screwdriver. OTOH, a socket inside the sideboard would provide somewhere to plug in any equipment (i.e. videos/hi fi/lighting).

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

My only worry would be that someone might try and move the sideboard and thereby break the socket. Apart from that I can see no real problem.

Do you want/need to use the socket? If not then the best solution would be to blank it off though this is possibly slightly more than trivial since it's a surface mounted socket.

Doesn't strike me as a silly question, I must admit trying to pose a sensible set of words to search for on Google does sound a bit difficult! :-)

Reply to
usenet

These sideboards are usually pretty solid, so it shouldn't weaken it too much ;o)

Reply to
Gavin Gillespie

You could screw the sideboard to the wall (making sure to avoid any cables!) with screws in the back near the socket so that anyone wanting to move the furniture has to remove the screws and will see the socket...

Hwyl!

M.

Reply to
Martin Angove