Qualitas - Furnishing Standards Body

Just posting some interesting information that I found on Which? Online today about a body called Qualitas that can help with unresolved disputed between retailer and consumer. They are trying to set standards for furnishing and some of the major brands like MFI and B&Q are members.

If you've got a dispute or just want to have this bookmarked just in case then go to

is what Which? Online have to say about them:

With some companies, you have no choice but to pay the full cost upfront. B&Q, Magnet and MFI, for example, require full payment prior to installation. Fortunately, help is at hand in the event of a dispute. The Office of Fair Trading has long been concerned about this practice and has put pressure on companies to change the way they work. The result is that MFI, Magnet and B&Q are all now members of Qualitas, an independent standards body for furniture and floor coverings. If you complain to Qualitas, it will hold 20 per cent of anything you've paid while your complaint is being investigated. And, if the dispute isn't resolved, Qualitas can provide a conciliation service and ultimately adjudicate, making a decision that's binding on the company. You can go to court if you're still unhappy.

The system sounds good in principle, but it's not helpful if it's kept secret. We're concerned that companies aren't making consumers aware of the scheme. Disputes with home improvement companies are among the most common complaints we receive at Which?. Yet not a single one of the bathroom customers in our survey had complained to Qualitas. And just 1 per cent of those who complained about their kitchen had approached the body.

Which? Online - Home Improvement - Kitchens & Bathrooms - January 2004

Reply to
selfbuilder

Charge quite a sum to investigate any complaint however for you.

Reply to
Gel