PURE Evoke 1S DAB radio question

Yeah. The days when recording studios equalised to sound good on the Dansettes of the day are somewhat gone...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Why doesn't the OP phone them up and ask them>?,,,

Reply to
tony sayer

Phew. So no-one will be recommending I retrieve the Dansette from the skip to overcome this issue.

Reply to
polygonum

Never mind the EQ theres far too much compression around these days. Listen to some stuff from the 70's and 80's before they got that bad habit from radio where LOUD is always better;!...

However some compression on radio is an evil necessity....

Reply to
tony sayer

Because he thinks he'll get a better response here!

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Crikey. Never heard of the Phil Spector 'wall of sound'? ;-)

Pretty well any commercial sound you listen to - speech or music - from any source - will have had the dynamic range reduced considerably. Problem comes in when it is done by some machine that the original sound mixer hasn't got control over.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

When would any maker agree there is a problem with something like this? After all, they designed it to sound like that.

The answer is to audition a radio before buying, and if you don't like the tonal balance, find one that suits.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

A different model in the same range /does/ have tone controls, that's somewhat short of admitting a problem, but certainly an indication that some may see them as necessary ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

I've got lots of things with tone controls here. Doesn't mean they are either used or needed. If the speakers are properly balanced in the first place. There's no reason why the small speaker fitted to a portable radio should sound like it's lacking at the top end. Far more likely the amplifier is designed to do just this.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not if you have the signal to noise ratio.

And with digital, by and large you do.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

or - not designed, just happened

Reply to
charles

+20, sadly.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

What do you listen to that's not been compressed at some stage?

About the only thing likely is a recording you've made yourself. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well, yes. Dunno Evoke - are they a small UK company that just buys in chassis an fits them in a box, etc? A bit like Roberts ended up doing? It would be trivially easy to include some EQ for the speaker at the design stage.

Only portable I have is an ancient Grundig Concert Boy which has quite a large speaker for the size of case. No shortage of 'top' on that.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No: Pure are a UK company and Evoke is one of their range of models. They say, on their website

that the sets are designed in the UK. They also refer to deep bass tones and rich treble. The model I have (One Mi), a small portable (for taking away with me) sounds fine to my ears, but what would I know.

They also say that have a techical support department. The OP should contact them.

Reply to
charles

Err , No. A commercial radio station and that includes such as Classic fm is often listened to under far from ideal conditions and if you didn't give it a bit of help a lot of it wouldn't be heard.

Its not Hi-fi;!,..

Yes if the rates are right;)...

Reply to
tony sayer

We inherited one of these from my late MIL. I also think it lacks treble, but it occurred to me that it might be a tone that suited some buyers "of a certain age" who can't hear treble anyway.

Reply to
GB

I have been waiting for someone to suggest that the OP's hearing might be a few dB down at the hf end.

I know mine is - people have started mumbling...

Reply to
Geo

mine's just got a serious* notch at 4.5kHz.

  • 50dB

Reply to
charles

Then you probably need more to give speech clarity. We're generally not talking about the upper octave or two - but a flat response up to perhaps

5 kHz or so.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)