Fridge thermostat - Off position

A couple of weeks ago, the thermostat in my Hotpoint fridge-freezer was replaced by a repair firm. Although it initially ran on the cold side*, the unit does cycle correctly and the auto defrost in the fridge appears to work during the period the compessor is at rest. However, there is a niggling question: I notice that, if the compressor is running and I turn the thermostat right down to the "0" position, the compressor still runs.

Unfortunately, I never tried seeing what happens when the thermostat is put to "0" before this new thermostat was fitted, but, and memory could well be playing tricks, I thought putting the thermostat to "0" generally knocked off the compressor until moved away from this position. Is this right? The user handbook makes no mention of it. (And there's no technical support or circuit diagrams from Hotpoint.)

On the old thermostat, I notice that the central spade connector is in contact with one of the 2 outer spade connectors all the time except when in at "0". I have not a great deal of faith in the fellow who replaced the thermostat and even he thought it possible he had incorrectly reconnected the connections.

Thanks

  • I posted last week seeking advice on adjusting the preset screws to bring the thermostat within correct range - I expect to post my observations in a couple of days.
Reply to
Martin

Perhaps there's a delay while it finishes the cooling cycle it's doing at the moment.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

I'll check that. Thanks for the rapid reply.

Reply to
Martin

No. Even after a couple of minutes it was still running.

Maybe I should wait until the compressor is resting and then knock the thermostat off and see if it trips in when the fridge has warmed up to the usual trip-in temp?

Reply to
Martin

I don't know, Martin. I'm guessing here, too.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Hi, Capillary sensor does not respond instantly. This thing goes bad very seldom.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I've since discovered that in the "0" position, the compressor ran continuously and the auto defrost assist heater was on - definitely not right!

I contacted a brilliant site

and they sent me the circuit diagram of the cold control thermostat and I can now see that it was incorrectly fitted. This site also produces an excellent book and cd that I've sent off for on fridge repairs.

Thanks for all your help.

Reply to
Martin