PURE Evoke 1S DAB radio question

Add that to the current fashion on TV of not EQing personal mics properly, and you have a problem.

It's interesting to compare R4 and TV sound through exactly the same system off FreeView. R4 generally sounds as I'd expect it to - TV, on things like news and current affairs, often very lacking in top. And even on high budget drama. Like they're simply using the personal mics 'flat'. I do wonder if it's untrained people doing the sound balance these days - or equipment where it's difficult to access the EQ, assuming it has any.

In all my days in TV sound, I never came across any personal mic that sounded anywhere near 'right' without fistfuls of EQ. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Oh, it is, without doubt, and I wear hearing aids. But that doesn't explain why the sound from our B&O Beolit 700 portable from the 1970's has so much better treble, or why other contributors to this thread agree with me that the PURE is a bit short in the treble department.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

And, as they say, there's no answer to that.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I agree - not just the Pure either. The first DAB I bought was a pretty damn expensive Roberts: it sounds like it's coming from the bottom of a swimming pool . I literally can't stand it! Have to leave the room.

Later I bought a cheap (28 pound) John Lewis brand portable, having listened to it in the shop first. This is very clear.

I've recently bought a Pioneer DAB radio/CD system -- I made the mistake of not listening to it in the shop (Richer Sounds this time). It's nowhere near as bad as the Roberts, but I have the bass to Min and the Treble to Max all the time, and it's still dull compared to the John Lewis job -- and to every blinking FM radio that we own.

WTF is it, with these DABs?

J.

Reply to
Another John

A colleague of mine, now sadly deceased, used to say in relation to all claims for newer stuff being better: 'improvement means deterioration'. I can't help but agree with him. And they're trying to foist DAB on us and withdraw FM, because it's an 'improvement'. Pah!

Reply to
Chris Hogg

It's a well known fact that at a low volume, you need to boost both bass and treble to make things sound like they are natural, just 'further away'.

Google Fletcher Munson and ISO 226.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Nothing to do with DAB as such. Just makers giving a choice of tonal balance to the punters. In the same way as it's often impossible to adjust some TVs to give the correct picture.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not disputing that - but I've never heard any application of a loudness contour that worked properly. Most work better switched out. ;-) Which is why you'll not find them on any quality equipment.

But it's a red herring in this case.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In article , Chris Hogg scribeth thus

Hang on we're comparing FM with DAB the only DAB service that is anywhere near good is BBC radio 3 at 192K

FWIW We have an experimental MUX on the go locally thats got all services running at 192!.....

Reply to
tony sayer

In article , Another John scribeth thus

Lack of bits!.

Reply to
tony sayer

Yes, I often want to enhance the treble these days. Nevertheless, MIL had got to the stage (age 80+) when she got this Evoke 1 where a bit of extra treble just wasn't going to make any difference. I think she got the radio a bit before she got her much-needed hearing aids, so she probably wasn't hearing the high frequencies much at all.

I had already found, by trial and error, that moving the radio away from the wall decreased the bass. Next time I get a chance, I will put some of my wife's old tights in the reflex port and see if that helps.

Reply to
GB

Oh c'mon Tony. DAB may not sound as good as FM, but the difference is subtle in portable radio terms. Indeed I doubt many could tell the difference on one - if getting a decent signal.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In article , Dave Plowman (News) scribeth thus

Well there is that gravely sound thats just irritating but what do we expect for 64 K/Bits?.

Reply to
tony sayer

The variation between programs is considerable. Many I can hear without any problems (though I too have a "notch" it doesn't seem to affect me if the program has good sound quality). One I have really noticed recently is University Challenge - very muddy.

Reply to
polygonum