DAB Radio in car

My DAB has been breaking up recently and the radio automatically drops to FM. This is a bit annoying though die to the slight time difference.

Grubbing about on a Facebook Group someone asked if I had anything plugged into my Cigar Lighter Socket - I have - a Dashcam. I unplugged it and the problem went away.

It seems the 12v to 5v ciruit causes interference. I found a couple of YouTube videos that seem to confirm it.

Now I need a solution!

John

My dashcam is 'hard wired' to the fuse box to avoid the socket. It was fitted by Halfords.

Reply to
Scott

Not all 12 V to 5 V USB convertors are created equal. Try a different one...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

"Dave Liquorice" snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net:

I have tried plugging the DashCam into the cars own (5v) USB Ports and I get the break up of DAB again. Perhaps it is the cable that is radiating something

Reply to
John

Where is the dashcam in relation to the car's DAB aerial?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Try a USB cable with a ferrite on it:

whatever connector the dashcam has)

THeo

Reply to
Theo

To help with the elimination process try running the dashcam from a USB backup battery.

Reply to
Robert

Cheap chinese rubbish again. People on here have sneered at me about worrying about these voltage converters, saying who uses radios these days, well... My suggestion is a ferrit ring on the two sides of the circuit, but if its built into one of the units it depends where its getting into the system, if its through the electrics, than a choke and capacitor might sort it, but if its radiating from the power cable to the dab aerial then apart from the ferrite bead idea, I'm at a loss, You don't get such problems with the less efficient series regulators as they are analogue. Of course it could be some interference from the camera electronics, but that is less likely. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

That does not mean its fixed, you might just have a cleaner voltage regulator than the one mentioned.

I have one of those little ones deriving plus and minus five from a 9v psu wall wart and it kills almost anything from receiving within about five foot. Heap of junk. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

Well in that case it has to be the camera itself then. Maybe it has also got some kind of inverter in it as well.

Try the ferrite bead idea, also move the camera about and its lead, perhaps the dab aerial is close to where its living at the moment. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

Well I suppose it isolates the camera from the car but there is still a DC-DC convertor in the "USB battery". Doesn't really help in tracking down the source of the problem as you've changed more than one thing.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Replace it with an (inefficient) linear regulator, such as some variant of a 7805, with a heatsink, instead of the (efficient, but noisy) switched mode supply that you have?

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

You can buy better converters too.

The ones for RC model planes are - surprise surprise - specced for low RF interference.

But it does mean taking the dashcam apart

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher