water by-law question

If you are fitting a freestanding shower, should you fit isolation valve to H&C feed valves?

Reply to
rick

No idea about by-laws, but it makes sense surely ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Jethro_uk <jethro snipped-for-privacy@hotmailbin.com wrote in news:r04ba7$ua7$60@dont- email.me:

Get "Full Bore"

My plumbing used to have "Double Check Valves" to prevent syphoning. I noticed the new shower bar has check valve built in - so I have removed the plumbed in ones (they looked a bit crusty)_

Reply to
John

AIUI:

/isolation/ (or "service") valves are optional - but IMHO /should/ be fitted as they let you service the shower without turning off the water to other places. Of course this assumes the valve works - without leaking - when you come to want to use it. That ain't always true for the valves in cheap flexible tap connectors. And as already mentioned, full bore valves offer maximum flow rates.

/check/ valves to stop backflow into the water supply are required by the regs in some cases and then /must/ be fitted. With a shower that's mainly where the shower head could be submerged or where there's a mixer tap with unbalanced supplies. But note that some mixer taps have them built in.

Reply to
Robin

Plumber did not fit them - even though asked specifically to do so. His response was introduces failure point.

Reply to
rick

Bollix!..

Reply to
tony sayer

AIUI isolation valves should be fitted to all points of use, but I could be wrong.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

In large buildings or anywhere where temporarily shutting off all the H & C could be a problem, then I think it?s a good idea.

In most domestic situations though it?s not that hard/inconvenient to shut off all supplies for repairs.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Domestically every point of use is a bit OTT, every room is better. Allows the rest of the house to function normally (downstairs loo, coffee...) whilst you battle the snags that are turning a hours job into taking the whole day and the day after...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The ones that are screwdriver operated are a waste of space. They are invariably seized up when you want them. (The screwdriver slot just mangles up) The lever operated one are a bit better but often leak when operated a few years later.

They are really shit.

On the flexible connections. The braid on the flexible bits usually rusts. (I thought it was SS, but it isn't).

Reply to
harry