Pressure Washer

My dad's pressure washer has finally dies after 12 years, a Karcher.

Can anyone recommend a really good one, up to aprox £200 that would live a while, used once a week, and is powerful, to do car and patio etc

Thanks in advance

Reply to
Simon Davis

Won't your dad now the difference if you bought another type? ;-)

Another Karcher otherwise it'll cost you well more for an industrial jobby.

Reply to
George

Aldi sell one around this time of year: around 75 quids. I bought one last year --- it knocks the socks off my previous cheap job from B&Q (which just conked out after about a year.

I'm pretty much sure that it's an "unbranded" Karcher: just have a look at the two, and decide for yourself.

Mind - I don't use mine once a week, and I curse my neighbours who do: yet another noise in the neighbourhood. I swear it takes one of my neighbours an hour and more to clean his car, with his damn' PW buzzing away incessantly, while I do my car in 10 minutes, with my rainwater, shampoo and (above all) the magic car-wash brush.

Anyway: look at the Aldi one (or LIDL -- they're brothers apparently). Not a Karcher, but *definitely* not crap.

hth John

Reply to
jal

I think you are confusing two things:

  1. Aldi and Lidl have very similar business models - pile it high and sell it cheap ( - don't stock named brands - only stock one brand of each commodity - stock a wide range of different items *but not all at the same time* - sell from medium size, in town, shops (oh, and they are both German)
  2. Aldi was controlled by two brothers (they have since retired), and is run as two companies (Aldi Nord/Aldi Markt and Aldi S=FCd) operating in different areas. Fortunately, Britain gets Aldi S=FCd (a friend from Hamburg says Aldi Nord is not as good).
Reply to
Martin Bonner

It is usually Lavor that Lidl sell. I bought one a couple of years ago for £90 with the following spec:

2550 Watt 160 Bar 530 L / Hr 10m hose
served me well except the hose splitting but Lavor sent a replacement no questions answered.

To the OP have a look at this Power Washer FAQ

Steven Campbell

(as well as being an extra bit of kit to get out).

Reply to
John

As long as you don't put the nozzle too close to the car it is fine. I like it for under the wheel arches.

Steven.

Reply to
Steven Campbell

Yes,really gets that road shit off the wheel arches and anywhere else thats impossible to get a rag.

Can't it do more harm than good

Urban myth.

(as well as being an extra bit of kit to get out).

Lazyness is the next step to becoming a couch potatoe

Reply to
George

Karcher don't brand for anyone else.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Karcher K3 series (induction motor) or above.

Kranzle are good & worth a look.

Nilfisk-Alto from Machine Mart - make sure it has an induction motor.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

They did for Aldi,otherwise Karcher would have had a law suit against Aldi for instigating their brand was made by Karcher. :-)

Reply to
George

They will badge for people, but always use the 'made by Karcher' ploy. They don't make 'own label' for example. Their brand name in presure washers is far greater than a retailers brand name.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I like your last comment. A bucket (or several) of water and lightly applied elbow grease is the best way to go as far as I'm concerned. No noise pollution, no electrickery used and no paint lifted. Apply as needed - suggested frequencies -once a month in winter and in summer no more frequent than bi-monthly - though does depend upon your mileage!

Reply to
Clot

Karcher certainly used to make washers for Bosch with no indication they were Karcher - apart from being identical to Karcher models.

Reply to
mike

Father-in-law took the coach stripes off his car by being over enthusiastic with a pressure washer.

Reply to
mike

Quite. Strenuous and or frequent cleaning is not advised!

Reply to
Clot

Anything of a non sound adhesion will come off the car. :-)

You can actually cut your self with the jet of water from a jet washer. Damn wish I could get the paint of the back of the house walls with the power washer...someone just slapped it on and it looks bloody awful.

Reply to
George

More likely they both bought them re labelled from the same Italian or Chinese source.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Coach stripes aren't paint.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Not an urban myth. Used wrongly these power washers can do serious damage. My son has caused a lovely big dent in my bumper because the head was far too close to the car.

Steven.

Reply to
Steven Campbell