Pressure Washer

I want to get a pressure washer, generally to clean cars (including one dirty Land Rover Defender), and cleaning decking/patio etc. Are 'Karcher' still regarded as the ones to go for? If so, which model (I've around 150-200 to spend, and I'm happy to get one off eBay to save a few quid)? Don't want to go for a petrol one.
Peter
SpiderMan wrote:

Got one of these and boy is it powerful. Forget ebay otherwise you cant send it back if it fails after a few months use ie no guarentee.
http://tinyurl.com/acta6 -- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite
On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 16:27:28 GMT, The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

Or
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/7507049/Trail/C%24cip %3D28884.DIY%2C%2Bgarden%2Band%2Bcar%3EC%24cip%3D28955.Pressure%2Bwash ers.htm
http://makeashorterlink.com/?F2CD1236C
Note that this is smaller but does come with the car and patio washing bits. The Patio head is not far short of 30 on its own.
Even better value if you are a member of CostCo, 76 (might have been 73 *inc* VAT) I've got one but yet to use it, too damn cold! Primary use is to be car cleaning (Land Rover Discovery) but may well do the odd bit of patio work. TBH you don't want that much umph otherwise you run the risk of damaging the paint work, tyres or other "soft" parts of the car.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail
Dave Liquorice wrote:

I did it lasted 2 months and took it back, hence me buying the one I posted. :-)
-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite
On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 18:18:16 GMT, The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

B-(
How many times did it get used in those two months? I wash the car once a year wether it needs it or not...
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail
Dave Liquorice wrote:

Car once a month. Backyard twice a week, the canine lives out there. :-)
It just might have been a faulty unit/batch but once bitten twice shy when buying an electrical item is my moto.
-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite
On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 23:29:04 GMT, The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

So thats 2 + 8 * 2 = 18 years, That'll do me. B-)
I looked at the Alto models as the factory is only 20 miles away... Trouble is they don't do one with the features I wanted. Namely detergent bottle attached to the main body (not freestanding to be knocked over or on the end of the lance making it unweildy), the accessory range also appeared limited.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail
Dave Liquorice wrote:

Machine mart do one. incidently the connections are standard you know.
click on washer accesories http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product.asp?p 0411000&r 01&g1 -- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite
On Sun, 01 Jan 2006 14:47:35 GMT, The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

That one appears to be a "detergent bottle on the lance" jobbie.

I didn't, noted. Though I don't need any now. B-)
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail
Dave Liquorice wrote:

Urban myth mate! Completely impossible for a normal HPC to remove or damage sound paint. If the paint is at all loose or flakey then it will come off, but sound paint no.
You can remove paint & rust with ultra high pressure 1,000 bar +, that's how they clean gasometers & the like prior to painting.
Dave
On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 18:35:39 GMT, david lang wrote:

Tell that to a friend who bought a domestic pressure washer and promptly removed from the bumper of his car... OK it may already have been loose but not noticeably so and I woud rather put money on a car having a iffy paintwork somewhere rather than being 100% perfect.
Real world mate, real world.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail
Dave Liquorice wrote:

The bloke next door but one is always using his on the car every sunday.
-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite
Dave Liquorice wrote:

Thirty years of selling the buggers mate, thirty years :-)
Everything from the 'I could pee faster' domestic machines 100bar @ 6 litres/min to the real stuff 250bar @ 40 litres/min.
If the paint came off it was faulty paint and only a matter of time.
Dave

Tell that to Vauxhalls, I took the paint off the bumper of a Vectra. Painted plastic mind you! Also cut the rubber around the front screen. This was with a domestic Karcher.
--
Bill

Bill wrote:

Hmmm! paint off 2 bumpers,this sounds to me like the paint was (matt paint)? in which case PW would shift it. -- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite
Bill wrote:

Painted plastic is asking for trouble IMO. I doubt it was factory painted. If it was it had a weak area and the jet got under it.

Rubber is bloody near impossible to damage with a high pressure jet! It absorbs the energy - precisely why shotblast cabinets are lined in rubber.
Most domestic HPC are use with a 'pencil' jet rather than a fan jet to compensate for thier crap performance. Possibly you hit a join in the screen rubber.
There simply isn't enough energy being produced by a domestic machine to break a proper paint to substrate bond.
Dave

Brand new car, I was using a a fine jet, pencil? It left an asteric shaped mark where it had cut the paint and then removed it, I did this a couple of times before I noticed. After that even with the fan shaped jet I had to be careful as once it was damaged it was easy to lift as the water got under the edge of the paint.

Again with the fine jet, I was using it to remove dirt from beside the rubber, never again!
The lesson learned from all of this was to treat the washer with respect and move towards the item being cleaned, rather than start close up, and then stop when I was close enough to clean it without damage.
My other slight embarrassment was cutting some fine lines in a tarmac drive while removing moss from it.
Still a darn good tool for cleaning concrete paths, I wouldn't be without it.
--
Bill

On Sun, 01 Jan 2006 02:50:48 GMT, Bill wrote:

So thats at least two cases were a domestic pressure washer has damaged car paint work. This doesn't sit well against "urban myth" and "completely impossible". Never trust a salesman, especially one who calls you "mate" rather than sir.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

;-)
I've only used one of those DIY car washes which includes a pressure washer, and quite honestly I can't see the point in them. They simply don't clean the car. A good soaking with an ordinary hose followed by bucket and sponge then rinse with hose then chamois dry.
--
*Many people quit looking for work when they find a job *

On Sun, 01 Jan 2006 11:06:56 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

The hose soaking is a problem, all taps here are tank fed so have begger all pressure, getting a decent amount of water across a car is difficult. Then Disco's are a bit big, the spongeing will mean getting right up close to the wet car and thus soaked down the front. I just want to remove most of the mud and salt not get a showroom shine.