Power supply repair (Sun)

Slightly OT but certainly in the DIY realms ...... We have a Sun Fire V100 with a dead power supply (outside of warranty). The Sun resellers report that we cannot buy a replacement one as Sun do not offer one. Instead we would have to get a Sun engineer to come out and replace it (and would cost an absolute fortune). Does anyone know if there is a way of reparing these units?. We`ve had the lid off the PSU and noticed there is a fuse hardwired to the board next to the mains stepdown transformer- anyone know what rating this would be or if there are any other components we should be checking ?

John

Reply to
John

have a look here

Frank

Chris Oates

99 times out of 100 yoir problem will be a fuse, plus whatever caused it to blow. If you replace the main electrolytic - 400V rated - and the power transistor, it should work. Oh, and the fan probably siezed, which is why it blew.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Chuck it out and use Linux on a old 486

Reply to
BillR

When I read this, I thought coal, gas or log? :S

Then looking at the replies I realised what it is and thought of this:

are some schematics available, so out with the soldering iron and multimeter...

Reply to
Abdullah Eyles

"John" wrote

I have a Sun reseller contact if you want to drop me an e-mail.

I'm sure he can get one at a good price (or he will have one on the shelf)

Regards,

Paul.

Reply to
Zymurgy

Talk to acara.co.uk

They should be able to sell you another one.

Reply to
Huge