Noisy new external tap.

Hello All

I replaced an outside tap a few weeks ago, because the old one didn't have a screw thread for the hose.

Anyway, it was noisy. I figured it was just loose piping since it runs outside the wall for a bit and was a bit loose. However, I've now boxed that in and fixed it securely (with rubber mounts) and it should be quiet - except it ain't.

The noise is very loud inside the house, a mid frequency groaning. High enough so you can't distinguish each pulse of the sound. Water pressure here is middling and flow is poor-middling.

This tap was the only one of the size Mole Valley were selling, and it was unmarked. I'm guessing it's a double-check tap since it has two grub screws along the base?

If so, is noise a particular feature of double-check taps, or have I just got a bad 'un? I'll probably get another soon, but wanted to know if I'd be wasting my money or if there's something I can do to de- noise it?

It's a pretty big issue since I'm filling a large tank for a farmer's cows every day so it's running for a couple of hours or so.

Reply to
Simon Avery

supply which keeps my pond automatically topped up - and that groans - sounds like a swarm of bees under the worktop in the utility room! It's better at high flows, and only groans when the ball valve is only just open. Does yours groan at full bore?

Roger

Reply to
Roger Mills

In article , Simon Avery writes

I used a drain c*ck as an outside tap and it has a similar problem but no check valve so mine isn't coming from there. On inspection, the washer is only held loosely onto the metal tap stem. I reckon it is occasionally vibrating and resonating like a reed. I haven't fixed it yet, but was going to use a small circlip to take up the play. In the mean time I've reduced the pressure and that has papered over the problem.

Could yours have a similar problem?

Reply to
fred

Hello Roger

Yep, but like I say - I'm not exactly blessed with high water flow here so your half-flow is probably equal to my full flow.

The noise really is intolerable and if all double-check taps are like this (?) then I'm going to have to risk breaking the law and sourcing an older tap to replace it.

Comments?

Reply to
Simon Avery