Brother knitting machine power supply?

Now, this *is* a long shot...!

My wife has just acquired a Brother knitting machine - one with electronic control panel and Flash storage for patterns. It's been instorage for a while and may have been exposed to minor damp (a couple of needles and extension bars have traces of rust, although this wasn't initially obvious).

She'd been trying it out, powered up, for about 10 minutes, and acrid smoke started appearing! Turned it off and called me.

On taking the end cover off (that's where the smoke came from) there's a small PCB with mains connections (no components) and a small transformer. Wires run from that in the direction of the control panel, but it's all packed tight and I can't see much more yet. Transformer has oily stuff on casing below it....!

Interesting things is that I can't see any PSU components apart from the transformer. I surmise that AC may be needed for part of it, and the DC conversion is done elsewhere. I suspect something there has shorted or died - bet would be a capacitor.

Anyone know of any repair resources? Can't find a service manual supplier yet... Or any suggestions?

Thanks

Reply to
Bob Eager

"> Anyone know of any repair resources? Can't find a service manual

Any model number?

Reply to
SJP

FH-950. But never mind...

The act of putting fingers to keyboard concentrated my mind....I thought "Why have a PCB to connect wires together?". Had a look down a narrow slot and could see components. A bit of digging and I extracted a small AC filter board - with an exploded filter cap. Can't get a new one (and its companion which will also be replaced) until after the weekend, but never mind...

Reply to
Bob Eager

What model number is the machine? Years ago, I was a Brother dealer, and may have the service manual.

Sheila

Reply to
S Viemeister

FH-950 - thanks!

Reply to
Bob Eager

I'll dig the box of manuals out of the loft, and see if I have that one

- I won't be able to get to it until Monday, though, as I have a big family gathering to prepare for.

Are you sure it's FH-950, and not KH-950?

Sheila

Reply to
S Viemeister

Ooops....yes, it's a KH-950!