Post codes

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Nightjar

"Nightjar

Reply to
Mike Barnes

I've had a bottle of Deep space Wine.

edible junk !!! it wasn't bad, actually far better than the local 5 quid a bottle stuff.

Reply to
whisky-dave

I still struggle to understand how IP25 makes any sense, when it is beyond a collection of NR areas, and way further from Ipswich than it is from Norwich (which is in the same county).

Davey

Reply to
Nightjar

Couldn't post codes just give an approximation to the latitude and longtitude of the house?

Then anyone with a smartphone could find it ...

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

there are free postcode databases around...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

They exist to tell the Royal Mail which post bag the letter needs to end up in. All other applications are merely spin-offs from that.

Reply to
Nightjar

Well, it's only you, and the problem is that when I reply to you the reply fails and I get an error message citing 'line length'.

David Cameron lives at No10 Downing Street. Is he, compared to you, a pleb?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Our post lady hands the letters over one at a time, if I happen to be working in the yard. She categorises them for me, thus: "Shite, s**te, s**te, bloomin' bill, s**te, s**te, another bloomin' bill, s**te, ohh err, one from the NHS, better open that one first eh? See ya later!"

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

The problem was caused by fred (or google), not by Jabba.

Reply to
Andy Burns

In the interests of balance, it's worth pointing out that he also lives at Chequers and a rather nice place in Oxfordshire with a name rather than a number.

Reply to
Adrian

In town, mebbe. In this village, there's only a handful of houses have numbers - two here, two there. The highest house number is 6. EVERY other property is just "house name, village".

Reply to
Adrian

Come on Timothy. An Post are trying to foist that idea in Ireland. Each user has to establish his own post code. Its never going to catch on. ISTR Post Codes had to be made compulsory in the U.K. before they were generally accepted

Reply to
fred

We have both - am I pretentious pleb ? :-)

Reply to
Chris French

I think it depends whether or not you refuse to give anyone your number, or to put it clearly visibly on your house. :-) My satnav is very bolshie and refuses to deal with anyone who lives at Mon Repos or Dunroamin, just in case they are inhabited by Hyacinth Bucket.

Reply to
Bob Henson

Five properties in this postcode. Three just have names, the other two are 1 and 2, Bloggs Cottages. Just as well you're not coming here then, innit?

Reply to
Tim Streater

That's what the previous residents here did. I only found out after moving in that there was a number (well, three numbers actually, but that's a different story). Since then I've put the number in clear view and I always quote it in the address.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Albeit my comments were a bit of light-hearted banter, I really do think anyone who has a number and doesn't use it is making a big mistake. It's so hard to find anywhere without a number that they leave themselves at a potential disadvantage.

Reply to
Bob Henson