Post codes

Just curious but when post codes were first introduced houses in the country side were given a number and road name signs were generally erected.

So how do they number new houses built in between existing houses on the road since these numbers were allocated ?

Reply to
fred

here houses weren't numbered sequentially. If no 5 had a big garden next door might be number 9. We also have a road wheee one house is "minus one"!

Reply to
charles

We used to live in a road in London that had houses numbered 1, 1A, and 1B. However there was no number 13.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

The numbers weren't necessarily sequential. You could build quite a few houses each side of this one before you ran out of numbers.

I quite like the system seen in other countries where houses are numbered by distance from the end of the road (in metres; odd numbers on the left).

Reply to
Mike Barnes

I've seen the occasional house with 1/2 instead of A

Reply to
Andy Burns

fred wrote

Local councils decide house numbering, not the post office. Some roads have been completely renumbered if a large number of new houses have been built between old properties.

Jabba

Not here they weren't! All houses in our old streets here have names but no numbers. Recent builds are numbered, only.

Reply to
Davey

Probably getting more common now that people will try to carve up every bit of garden and shove another house on it to sell...

Reply to
Tim Watts

IIRC the US interstate junctions are similarly numbered by the number of miles into the state. So they can add junctions without disrupting existing numbers.

It was quite an eye-opener on the I-whatever, going into Texas, and seeing that the junction eastwards, matching the westwaerds junction 1 was eight hundred and something. IOW the road is over 800 miles long IN ONE STATE !!!!!

I liked the rest stops in Mississippi. They were like cathedrals !

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Now why didn't we think if that!

Surrey University has floor numbers based on double-fathoms (12 feet) above sea level.

eg Level 19 is ground level for one building and the typical elevation around there is around 228 feet.

Not sure who came up with that!

Reply to
Tim Watts

Will they ever get house NAMES incorporated into GPS data? Number of couriers who get lost around here...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Don't get me started on houses, or even shops, without (visible) numbers...

Reply to
Mike Barnes

My Mum's address is fun. No number, no street/road name - just a house name and a village. Fortunately, there's also a town name, so when filling in stupid web forms, one can just put the village name in the field for the road, and the carry.

Reply to
Martin Bonner

Ain't no road name signs around these parts, and I'm not aware of our house having a number.

Our official full postal address, as seen on all the postcode lookups and RM's own postcode site, is... House name Village name Slightly bigger next village County Postcode.

Reply to
Adrian

fred wrote

Like Tottenham Court Road

You a cabby ?

Reply to
Jabba

I thought county was no longer part of the address, according to RM?

for any postcode I sling at

it doesn't return a county.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Sorry, you're right.

Instead of the county, it's the name of the city (from which the county takes its name) 20 miles away. So just a "shire" different...

Reply to
Adrian

Postal Town, I think they call them ...

Andy Burns

Our nearest of which (same postcode two letters) is one of our two nearest towns, less than five miles away. But I don't believe Royal Mail let such fripperies interfere with their logic...

Reply to
Adrian

I live in Suffolk, with my Post Code based on Ipswich, but my Post Town is in Norfolk. So some of Norfolk appears to be in Suffolk. What logic?

Reply to
Davey