Attic - white powder deposits?

Not sure how visible it is on these pics, but I was in the loft a couple of days ago after SWMBO was up there and encountered a couple of wasps. When she disappeared, and hence silence ensued, I couldn't hear any tell-tale b uzzing of wasps (the two she had encountered had been dealt with), so took a look around our cluttered loft to see if I could see anything untoward. There's no real reason why a couple of wasps couldn't have gained access wi thout there being a nest in there.

Anyway, I spotted unexpected trails of whitish dust - they looked like some sort of calcium type deposits, and the trail of them was solely underneath the valley where two roof sections join at right angles. I've not noticed this before, so I am assuming that this is a new development in an otherwi se relatively unused area of our house. Photos arent great, but hopefully you get the picture.

.04.jpg
.09.jpg
.16.jpg
.43.jpg
.56.jpg

Reply to
larkim

Does Pete Doherty live in your loft by any chance? :)

Reply to
Gazz

You know, I knew that something along those lines was coming my way at some point.

Sadly, no, otherwise the quality of the music played in my household would have been dramatically improved.

Matt

Reply to
larkim

Bird or bat droppings?? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I'm excluding that as a thought as they are on the upper part of the attic

- i.e. the birds or bats would have to crap upwards to coat the inside of t he underside of the valley, which is where the powder seems to originate. Which is partly why I was considering the potential for an insect / wasp / spider detritus, but there wasn't enough animal activity up there to appare ntly justify it.

Reply to
larkim

In Brian's world they do. I suspect mould.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I had a similar deposit on some of the rafters in our loft. It hasn't got any worse over the years and I put it down to lime washing out of brickwork on the roof. Actually it was almost too white to be chalk, and did look more like bird shit

Reply to
stuart noble

Has the loft ever been sprayed for wasps? Ficem D is a white powder, blown in. Could be some old residue coming out?

Reply to
Tim Watts