Post codes

1500, that's a town not a village. There are less than 1000 households on the 100 odd square miles that make up this Parish. The town may have 500 households, the larger village a couple of hundred and the smaller another hundred, the rest scattered up and down the valleys.

As for postcodes, ours puts you in the middle of field about 1/2 a mile away. It covers 5 delivery points in around a square mile.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Ha! The Post Office down in town is also the Local Delivery office. You used to be able to take stuff in marked "local" and the Post Master would hand frank it and carry it the 5 yards into the Delivery Office. "They" have put a stop to that now. *All* mail has to go out to Brampton be counted and then come back for sorting and delivery...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Nice bit of research TNP - you obviously have far too much spare time :)

Reply to
The Other John

Who's /They?/

You can do it yourself on Openstreetmap.org Some navigation systems pull data from that.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Otherwise "local" mail wouldn't be counted towards that office's statistics and it might fall below the threshold to remain open.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Not even after they had been emptied en route? It's the menu for that darned Restaurant I'm still waiting for........

Reply to
Davey

Possibly, but I was curious. I was born in Surrey and there were signs that even then, it used to be bigger...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

e end of the street they cross over and come back up the other way.

Could you reduce your line length please?

When I earned my living by installing aerials for the likes of DER, we would have periods when we were frantically busy. These would be after a gale and during the pre-Christmas period. This was the time when I would run my private campaign against those who were arrogant enough to not have a house number, on streets that were numbered. The card would say, "Mon Repose, Halfbaked Lane, Dimtown. There was often no phone number. One long road had four names, depending on whereabouts along it you were. I wasn't going to get to all the calls that were waiting, so I had to thin them out. What better and more satisfying way than to return the card with the scrawl, "No number, couldn't find it."? Then the customer would be without TV for another two days. When I eventually turned up I would apologise profusely but say, "I just couldn't find it. Of course most of them along here have numbers..."

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

...witha fringe on top?

I'll get me coat.

Reply to
Johny B Good

I don't know - whoever compiles the GPS data for use or resale I guess.

SWMBO (who worked once for a company handling address data) is failry sure that the RM data only contains geolocation data for the postcodes, not house names.

So either an intermediate agency[1] or the end GPS software makers would need to add in house name geo data.

[1] IIRC I think there are 2 main sources of GPS mapping data for commercial use in addition to OSM: NAVTEQ and I cannot recall th eother major one.

Really - I shall look into that - I use CoPilot GPS on Android...

Reply to
Tim Watts

The interstate junctions are normally (there are as always exceptions) numbered in miles from the southern or western edge of the state (Interstates generally running N-S or E-W).

The junction numbers are not different depending on your direction of travel (Think of the chaos on maps - which are crowded enough as it is).

So if travelling in a westerly direction into Texas it is likely that the first junction you would come to (not junction 1) might well be eight hundred and something.

Reply to
news

Well down my road they seem to use a b etc on thehomes, but give them the same post code as the nearby house. This has resulted in my road, however as a new factory building has the same code as I do. I looked up my code and there are now five houses that share it, and not all are bunched together in the street, so the logic used for this practice seems to be erratic to say the least. this is why, I imagine when you are asked for you post code a house number is also requested. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

The principle under which post codes were first allocated was that anywhere getting more than 20 letters a day would get its own code, while, where possible, smaller properties would be grouped to give a similar load.

Reply to
Nightjar

There are plenty of N-S Interstates, and they have odd-numbers. I-75 goes from Michigan to Florida.

I know that the last exit on Eastbound I-20 is Exit 635 (I worked in Shreveport, LA for a while), but I don't know of any 800-mile markers. Somewhere else in Texas? Ah, here we go: I-10, down by Orange, TX. Mile 880.

Reply to
Davey

Almost certainly. We called it Middlesex. Thus predating the transexual debate by years.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

On 03/10/14 10:09, "Nightjar

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Reply to
Mike Barnes

So was I and it was.

Reply to
The Other John

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Which is why I carefully said "convenient" and not "closest", (with the caveat that "convenient" is "convenient for RM at the time addresses were fixed")

Reply to
Martin Bonner