Possibly for ARW - cable reel recommendation

I'm looking to buy (by *delivery*) a 25 - 30m extension cable and reel. Single socket output is fine but water resistant if possible. Fully unwound with a minimum 2500w rating/240v/13A. Fully wound ideally around

1000w to cope with partial unwinding for use with chainsaw or hedge trimmer.

Prefer metal reel but good *strong* 'plastic' would suffice. I don't like cassette types though.

ebay/amazon etc throw up lots of options but recommendations from those who use them preferred.

Ta

Reply to
Bev

Also Jojo do some readily available 25m and 50m reels with thermal cutouts at the reel end to protect from over heating if too much current is drawn when wound.

(I would suggest if going for the open reel type, make sure there is a cable feed slot or guide, otherwise they have a habit of unwinding and turning into a rats nest if you are not very careful)

Reply to
John Rumm

The one I bought is Sealey BCR2525 which is 25m of strong rubber covered

2.5mm^2 flex. Metal frame but plastic drum. Quite robust. Not particularly waterproof but I have used it in the rain with the socket plane vertical. Meets your current requirements including 1400W wound, and relatively low voltage drop at 13A because it is 2.5mm^2. I think I probably bought it from Amazon but other sources exist.
Reply to
Roger Hayter

Remember the "orange dalek" extensions that didn't wind the cable around a core but piled it into a chamber? They were great as long as you didn't let them fall over when the cable inside turned into a knot.

Reply to
Cynic

When I was looking for one almost all were 1.25 sq. mm wire rated at 13A. I bought a 50m drum of 1.5 from Wilkinsons (cheaper than elsewhere) and made a reel of 27m - 25m would have been close. The reel is v. crude and hard to use but just about does the job and, being open in the centre is well ventilated. I looked for an empty reel but they're rare in a decent format and cost about the same as a full one! Machine Mart had a good one, price quite high + delivery, just within reasonable distance by bus but MM's reputation put me off.

Reply to
PeterC

I acquired a 50m 2.5mm drum. It came originally from RS. It's quite heavy when full.

Reply to
charles

I have had this very reel for about a year. It's been fine. It does have a paying on device that works well with a little care.

Reply to
harry

Thanks John. I have a 50m reel so know just what you mean!

Reply to
Bev

Ill have a search and see what I can find. Thanks for the pointer.

Reply to
Bev