Faulty RCD cable reel

On Sat, 22 May 2004 20:27:36 +0100, in uk.d-i-y "Lobster" strung together this:

I think you've knackered that, time for a new one, or a new RCD plug at least! For what a half decent RCD plug costs, and the fact you can't really repair RCDs, it's not worth looking into fixing the old one. I'm assuming of course youve tested the flex for continuity and short circuits first!

Reply to
Lurch

Have you checked the fuse in the plug as well ? Any extension lead has to have a plug top with a fuse in it when it's sold in the UK. Or is the fuse in the unit that you checked the same thing ?

Reply to
BigWallop

Oh right ! It could have been a reel with an RCD fitted to the body part of the unit. That's why I asked.

Reply to
BigWallop

On Fri, 21 May 2004 22:33:47 GMT, "BigWallop" strung together this:

I think that's why he posted a link to a picture of the reel in the OP!

Reply to
Lurch

strung

So that's why I'm missing out on things here. I installed a mail server on this machine yesterday, just as a test before using it on the company servers, and it seems to have changed settings that control the views of this mail and news reader thing.

Bugger it !!! Back to checking all the settings again. Thank heavens for default reset buttons eh ? :-))

Reply to
BigWallop

On Fri, 21 May 2004 23:09:08 GMT, "BigWallop" strung together this:

Yes, just doing something similar here as well, but altering the layout of the network as well! I think I might have to change it again, I seem to have lost file and print sharing now I've ended up with 2 firewalls between me and the other machine 4' away! Onto plan C\D!

Reply to
Lurch

Hi

I have an RCD-protected cable reel

which seems to have stopped working - can someone tell me if it's likely to be faulty, or whether it's something else)?

It now won't supply any power when plugged into a live socket; the little warning window shows 'white', ie all OK ('red' = 'warning, do not use'). If I press 'Reset' or 'Test' nothing happens at all. I've checked the 13A cartridge fuse in the unit and it's fine. I've also since checked the cable reel plugged in another house, and it doesn't work there either.

I don't know if this is relevant or not, but it seems to have happened today while I was working on a lighting circuit; I'd isolated just that circuit (yeah, I know) and when I shorted out L & N at some point, the RCD on the CU tripped (not surprisingly). Shortly afterwards, when I'd finished work and reset the CU RCD, I noticed that a light which I'd had plugged into my cable reel, and which had been working earlier, was no longer working - that's when I found the fault.

Can anyone suggest what's wrong with it? Or am I being really thick here?!!

Thanks David

Reply to
Lobster

change the mains fuse in the plug. If it still doesnt work the RCD's dead, replace the plug then.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Yup, the 'plug' on the cable reel includes the RCD unit, fuse etc. David

Reply to
Lobster

No the plug has the RCD gubbins built into it (see Screwfix link above); that's the fuse which I've changed (ie the only fuse in the whole appliance). Having convinced myself that I'm *not* being really thick, I've phoned Screwfix and they've agreed to exchange it, so I'm not worried any more. Still seems a bit odd though.

Thanks David

Reply to
Lobster

I know that, you told us. Thats what needed replacing.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton