plasterboard nails

Putting up plasterboard: What's the point of Screwfix 'plasterboard- jagged'' nails as compared to galvanised clout nails, and how far apart should they be?

cheers

Jacob

Reply to
jacob

Jacob,

I know it doesn't answer your question, but my advice is to use plasterboard ('drywall') screws. Much easier to get set to the right depth without damaging the boards, and they hold better.

Andrew Mawson

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Clout nails have a large flat head, used for nailing roofing felt. The problem about using them for plasterboard is that the skim coat of plaster doesn't adhere to the large head and usually falls off leaving a hole - proper plasterboard nails have much smaller heads. But I agree with Andrew - use drywall screws if you can - 32mm for 9mm plasterboard and 38mm for 12mm board. It's also much quicker and easier, especially if you're working alone.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Taylor

Although it can be frustrating when you rip the heads off :-(

Then again, I was screwing through lats, having removed the old plaster, instead of straight into joists.

Screws are easier than nails, expecially if you have a cordless drill/screwdriver.

HTH Dave R

Reply to
David W.E. Roberts

Screws are easier than nails, expecially if you have a cordless

Screws are easier than nails, ONLY if you have a cordless drill/screwdriver :o)

Reply to
Peter Taylor

Screws are easier than nails, expecially if you have a cordless

Screws are easier than nails, ONLY if you have a cordless drill/screwdriver :o)

Well OK but I just put up a large ceiling with a cordless, then saw a lovely proper (though mains powered) 'dry wall screwdriver' on eBay for £15 that I couldn't resist - so all equipped for the next time Do you find yourself solving problems 'after the event' !!!!!

Andrew Mawson

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

They're supposed not to pull out so easily. I don't see the point, myself - ELH clouts (modern name!) every 4" or 6" are fine, they should be decent gauge and long enough.

The problem is that they're rarely put in close enough together or fully home. This means that there can be a gap, or a gap can develop, between the PB and joist - then when someone pushes on the PB, all the heads push up little domes of skim and discs of plaster can fall off! To repair this, the PB must be pushed up tight, existing nails must be punched down, new ones put in if need be, and the lot filled.

This is OK but there can still be big problems with inept fitting, especially where too few screws are used and/or they are over- driven and the heads break through the outer layer into the plaster; this can lead to whole boards falling off!!

No, I don't agree with that at all.

J.B.

Reply to
Jerry Built

Naa, did mine with the mains drill. Couldnt find the codless charger :(

I quite agree with one picee of advice: use screws not nails. I used both and what a difference!

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Do people think that adapters like this;

be of any use with an ordinary cordless driver?

Mark

Reply to
Mark Walters

One of the comments in the blurb says yes! That looks like a pretty good item (I bet it chews bits, though!). I'd certainly try one, at the mo. when I screw up PB I set the clutch to slip early, and finish by hand.

Reply to
Jerry Built