Stick wood to plasterboard....help please

I need to stick a 3x1 batten to painted plasterboard wall. Paint is matt finish. Batten to hold metal rail and full length curtains. Any tips on the rifht adhesive? I will screw it into plasterboard as well, but trying to avoid a steel box lintel under the plasterboard. Cheers.

Reply to
Gadgetman

"Gadgetman" wrote in message news:K_WmB.790268$ snipped-for-privacy@fx29.am...

Will a batten that is stuck to plasterboard (even by a very strong adhesive) be able to bear the weight of full length curtains? If the adhesive is strong enough, the weak point might be that the paper covering of the plasterboard may be ripped from the plaster underneath it.

Maybe in this case you actually need to screw into the metal lintel.

Reply to
NY

Or have longer batten and rail so they go beyond the lintel.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Mr Pounder Esquire

A grab adhesive like no more nails will do for the glue, that will only glue it to the paper surface though. You'll need plenty of screw fixings too with (relatively) heavy duty hollow wall fixings such as toggles.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

What he said, or add a couple of vertical spars to reach above the lintel which is what I did.

Cheers

Reply to
Clive Arthur

I also wondered what attaches the plasterboard. If its good and strong, those devices that open like an umbrella on the other side of the plasterboard can work, but if they fail and pull through you have an awfully jagged big hole to fill up. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I wouldn't bother with the glue. It probably won't stick to the paint; the paint probably won't hold any weight against the board; if it did the front of the board would come off...

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

As used by a kitchem fiter to fix wall unita to a dot & dab wall

Reply to
Malcolm Race

Probably a job for Gripits. No harm having a grab adhesive too.

Reply to
newshound

The chances of getting an adequate fixing to plasterboard for a curtain rail are near zero, IMHO. You'll need to fix through it to something more solid.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

you can get fittings to fix into plasterboard. I've used them to hang fire extinguishers.

Reply to
charles

I always use glue with a plasterboard fixing. Inject it into the hole and coat the wall plug. It stops the slight movements that cause the PB to start to crumble.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Curtains tend to be heavier and get much greater use.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Find the timber studs, and align the screws through the batten to screw into them.

Reply to
jgh