Attaching plasterboard to a wall

Hi,

I recently added a conservatory to the back wall of my house, and I now have to try and cover the ugly brickwork that was formerly the external wall. The external wall was stone-chip rendered, which I have chipped off, and I now have a mixture of brick and the base coat of render.

I want to try and plaster & paint the wall myself, and as I do not trust my plastering abilities, I was looking at using plasterboard. Can I use a plasterboard adhesive and attach the plasterboard directly to the wall using this ? with maybe a couple of screws to hold the sheets in place until the adhesive goes off. I was thinking this would probably give pretty good results, and I can then paint on to the plasterboard to finish off.

Has anyone tried this ? Should I use dabs of plasterboard adhesive, stick the plasterboard to it, & level it all etc. Is there anything else I should be aware of ?

Br

Paul...

Reply to
Wordy

I would put a row of three 'dots' near the top of each board, the same near the top and middle with the edge ones straddling two boards. attach them using Plasterboard adhesive, and ensure they are true in all planes. Then put dabs on the wall between the dots, and nail/screw into the dots to hold the panels whilst they set. Have a look at the British Gypsum site for dry lining. For dots, you could use small pieces (3"x2") of hardboard or similar, rather than buying a full box.

Setting the dots up accurately is the best aid to getting a level surface.

If space isn't at a premium you could use (carefully levelled) timber battens.

Reply to
<me9

You shouldn't need screws once the suction takes over. The key is the consistency of the adhesive. Too thick and it won't spread as you push the board. Too thin and the dabs won't stay in place when you stand the board up. I'd pva seal the wall first.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

IIRC you need mechanical fixing if the boards are on an 'escape route' i.e. stairs / landing because in a fire the boards can pop off and block your escape!

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Pearson

Use "dry wall adhesive" as this has a better bonding to the surface you're attaching it to.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Is that a 'good idea' or a building regs requirement? Not one I've ever come across, and my BCO never mentioned it to me when looking at my newly plasterboarded landing.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Not sure - it came from my best mate who owns a building company Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Pearson

Also, just found this:

"Typical Construction - New or existing masonry solid walls, lined internally with Polyfoam Linerboard. Polyfoam Linerboards can be fixed with adhesive, plaster adhesive dabs or mechanically fixed. Where dabs or adhesive are used, secondary mechanical fixings are needed to secure the plasterboard in case of fire."

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Pearson

I wonder if they know that on DIY-SOS?

Dave

Reply to
david lang

I've never seen them fitting foam insulation behind dot&dab plasterboard.

Reply to
Rob Morley