PIR occupancy switches

To cut our electricity bill a bit, I'd like to fit a PIR occupancy switch to the spot lights over our bathroom mirror. All the GU10 ceiling lights have replaced with LED lamps which are fine but the spotlamp cluster uses 3x50W halogen bulbs and frequently gets left on accidentally. The power consumed by the LED bulbs is pretty insignificant (relatively) and I don't want to be plunged into darkness whilst lounging in the bath which is why I'm only considering adding the switch to the mirror lamps.

Prices for switches seem to vary widely, from the £50 sort of mark right down to this Chinese one on ebay.

this switch worth a punt or should I stick to a more expensive/reliable brand?

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

25 secs max on time delay isn't a lot, I would have proffered at least 5mins or so. Don
Reply to
Donwill

My interpretation is that it turns off 25 seconds *after* it ceases detecting anything although I could be wrong. Is this not how they work?

Tim

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

>>> Is this switch worth a punt or should I stick to a more

The instructions read 15-400 secs (if they're the correct ones).

Reply to
brass monkey

I think that 400secs would be acceptable, however, the advert on ebay said it was adjustable between 15-25secs. Don

Reply to
Donwill

I have just returned a lamp with built-in motion sensor to Lidl, because it only came on when you get within 3 metres. The switch you quote says "3 to 5" metres (It doesn't say whether this is its tolerance, or its adjustment range). Maybe this is OK for your bathroom, but I want a lamp at the top of a staircase to come on when I'm at the bottom.

Dave W

Reply to
Dave W

the spot lights over our bathroom mirror. All the

spotlamp cluster uses 3x50W halogen bulbs and frequently

insignificant (relatively) and I don't want to be

considering adding the switch to the mirror lamps.

to this Chinese one on ebay.

> Is this switch worth a punt or should I stick to a more expensive/reliable brand?

OK it's probably just the eBay image, but I wonder if the English text on the label is really laterally inverted as shown?

On a related point, have you noticed how the labels on UK type wall-warts that come from the Far East are oriented to imply that the earth pin is at the bottom?

Reply to
Graham.

> Is this switch worth a punt or should I stick to a more expensive/reliable > brand?

I can't imagine why anyone would want 150W over a bathroom mirror! Things look quite bad enough as it is!

Spamlet

Could be embarrassing if the window isn't frosted.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

> Is this switch worth a punt or should I stick to a more

Well, I punted my cash towards this Chinese switch and perhaps, not unsurprisingly, I can't get it to work with a test lamp. I'm not sure though whether it's because it's knacked or whether it's because I'm wiring it up incorrectly. The instructions don't really fill me with much faith.

Here are some pictures of the instructions and internals of the switch. Anyone care to hazard what the correct way of wiring it might be?

Tim Downie

Its so poorly written that it could be wrong.

I would have paid for one of these

dennis

Well yes, that was rather my point.

I can't get this one working I'll probably try one of those.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

I tried tracking the pcb from the inputs to the relay but I can't see where the green output goes, I assume its some suppression device but its hard to tell.

Where did you buy it so I can avoid them if I need one?

Reply to
dennis

I believe that the green wire goes to the NO connection of the relay and then also tracks back off into the electronics (possibly to stop the photocall activating when the sensor is in an on period).

The red wire seem to be linked to the NC and com terminals of the relay.

Tim, have you tried the sensor in the dark yet? It does have a photocell.

Cheers

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Doh! That's a very good point. I saw the two sensors but the significance of the second one went by me.

For my use though I want it to work when there is light present so ambient light detection is a waste of time. I'll try covering it with a bit of black tape.

Cheers.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie