Loosening PIR sensors for decorating

I am about to re-paper around a PIR sensor, and would prefer to unhook it from the wall and leave it dangling from its cable while I'm working, to make a neater job. I've done this in the past in my previous house, but I knew the engineer code for the system there and suspect I may have put it into a mode were it didn't object to "tampering". (Loss of memory is a wonderful thing.)

The panel is an Accenta 8 (maybe known as a G3) but I can't identify the sensor type. There is just the usual single screw to remove its front cover, but is doing this likely to cause some kind of alarm condition, even when the system is unset ? I've found an installation manual for the panel on the web but it reads as if you're supposed to know what you're doing as an installer...

[I think I'll ultimately need to track down the guys who installed and serviced my old system and get them to service this one and reset the codes to known ones (I work on the basis that they're only temporarily the engineers whereas I'm permanently the owner), but that'll take a little while and I'd like to start papering real soon now.]

TIA.

-- "Press all the keys at once to continue."

Reply to
John Laird

"John Laird" wrote

Most systems have an active anti-tamper circuit whether they are in set mode or not! I had a similar issue when buying my recent property and managed to talk the installer into giving me his engineer's code. Probably good for a number of installs in my neighbourhood! But, again AIUI, most systems will only allow you to initiate engineer mode from day mode anyway, so it won't help when it comes to burgling!

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Yup, it most certainly does ;-) My memory I think is correct - enter the engineer code and then maybe something else (or maybe not) and the system can be worked on.

Entering the engineer's code won't allow changes to the user codes either.

Looks like I'll have to get the boys in, or find my ear defenders.

Thanks for your input.

-- "Too many women, too little time."

Reply to
John Laird

9 times out of 10 you can uncrew the PIR, enter your user number to reset the tamper alarm and then put the PIR back together again.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 16:23:15 GMT, "ARWadsworth" mused:

On the ADE stuff you remove the PIR cover, listen to the ringing of internal sirens, key in your user code which then silences the system. It then locks out until you clear the tamper (replace the cover on the PIR).

Repeat as neccesary.

Some decent alarms will lock out until an engineer has visited, and I'd never give you my engineer code no matter how much you cried.

Reply to
Lurch