Useing PIR switches in parallel

I want to extend the detection area of PIR to operate a single light.

Is this safe?

I have asked this question of a 'shed' helpline twice. I have been told :-

'yes' once 'no' once

So I come to 'those who know' for advice :-))

Reply to
jog

Yes, this is perfectly safe - at least it was when I last posted here, when I asked the same question :-) I installed two PIR detectors[got these from wickes I think] in parellel situated at either end of an dark alleyway which then switch a single light in the middle of the path. Works a treat.

Garry

Reply to
garryb59

Probably - especially if they are identical use an electromechanical relay.

I've done the opposite and operated a second light from the same PIR :-

(15kb)

I find it convenient for the 150 watt PIR floodlight outside my front door to switch on the hall light to make it easier to reset my burglar alarm. Inside I can switch either light on manually.

Jeremy

I hereby swear this job was done before 1st Jan 2006 ;-)

Reply to
brugnospamsia

I'd say it would depend on the type of PIR. If it uses a relay to switch the lights, it will be fine. A solid state 'switch' - pass.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Depends on the PIR. But most are and if you are looking at two of the same brand I think you can assume it okay.

Reply to
Mike

On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 17:45:54 +0000 (UTC), jog strung together this:

Yes, assuming you're using some 'of the shelf' PIR's from a wholesaler or similar.

Reply to
Lurch

Thanks to all who replied. All say yes which seems conclusive :-) Thanks again.

Reply to
jog

...and you can usually tell what it uses from the power rating - if over about 500W it is likely to be a relay.

Reply to
Mike Harrison