Pipe Benders

Hi All
Very complicated plumbing job today, re routing 15mm copper pipe around several obstacles - ended up using around 30 solder ring 90 degree fittings.
Maybe it's time to buy a tube bender :-)
This seems to be a generic piece of kit http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id 255&tss868#
23 at Toolstation, 29 at Screwfix or 34 at Plumbworld. Same spec & picture.
Anyone used one? Any opinions?
--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

fittings.
"ended up using around 30 solder ring 90 degree fittings"
You do seem to run into problems often,dont you?
Lets see now...30 elbows at a 85p a piece,thats 25.50 hmmm! I would have gone and bought the Pipe bender there and then.
George wrote:

That might be because I do this stuff six days a week.

Hmmm. That's 25 for 5:99 at Wickes tosspot.
Are you the former 3rd Earl?
--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Part timer, you have a day off?
Adam
ARWadsworth wrote:

This is proof that God wasn't self-employed. If he were, he wouldn't have wasted the seventh day in rest and smug contemplation; he'd have washed the van, written up the books, and ironed his overalls before falling asleep with a can in front of the telly during Antiques Roadshow.
Owain
Owain wrote:

Well I not sure who employed hm since no one else was around. But he did well for those six days. Just shows what you can get done without ODPM and HSE regulations. ;-)
ARWadsworth wrote:

Groan. Tell me about it.............
--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Well worth it. When you get the hang of it one of the more satisfying skills.

I used a cheap one at a pal's place once and it simply wasn't a patch on my Record - which did cost over three times as much. It's possible the Screwfix one is ok, though - especially if you're only going to use it for 15mm. Or perhaps check Ebay for a secondhand branded one?
--
*Despite the cost of living, have you noticed how it remains so popular?*

On Fri, 2 Feb 2007 00:01:47 -0000, "The Medway Handyman"

Same one I have got and I would avoid. It's so slack and sloppy that a simple 90 by eye is difficult. It necks the tube badly as well.

Erm, yes. I've seen work done with fittings like you've described, and the equivalent with proper bends is so much nicer.

But I'm afraid I can't help with that. The gert Record one we hired to take care of the 28mm stuff seemed to work and was an impressive beast, but I'd expect that's rather more than you're looking for :-)
cheers, clive

I've got the Screwfix one and found it good, but have never used a Record so can't compare. As Dave P says, satisfying (when you've got the hang of it). But be aware that there are times when only a fitting will do - you can't bend pipe down to that small a radius.

You've added around 15m effective length to the pipe. I hope you allowed for that when making the flow calculations.

My opinion is that it is never a good idea for a professional to buy tools sold on price. They will have been made in the Far East and very rarely as well engineered as those sold under British, German or Swedish tool manufacturers' names. Some of those may have been made in the Far East too, but the inspection would be to European standards. Indian (particularly) and Chinese steel is also of rather dubious quality.
Like Dave, I have the Record tube bender, which is a nice piece of kit.
Colin Bignell

A quick Google shows the Record available for about 50 quid.
http://www.tooled-up.com/static/PipeBenders.asp
Other good thing is spares are available for it.
--
*All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand *

I bought my Record bender in B&Q about 7 years ago. It was about 40 at the time. Had to check a few boxes to find one which still had the formers in it though. As Dave says, a delight to use.
Treat the formers with care though (they are a soft alloy), and make sure the pipe is reasonably clean before you bend it. Any grit on the surface can get embedded in the formers, and damage subsequent bends.
Record was bought by Irwin, and I've heard a few comments from tradesman that Record tools aren't the same high quality anymore.
--
Andrew Gabriel

Perhaps that's why they wanted to buy Corus? :)
nightjar <nightjar@ wrote:

You are assuming they were all in one pipe ;-)
--
Cheers,

John.

That was how I read it, although, on reflection, it could have been two or more.
Colin Bignell

They were on 5 pipes, 2 of which will be boxed in and 2 of which are under a floor.
--
Dave
The Medway Handyman
On Fri, 2 Feb 2007 00:01:47 -0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Certainly, that many joints will look an right bodge IMHO. Not to mention the flow restriction (again)...
Take a read back on thread(s) in here on pipe benders. The cheapo ones don't come out very well. The branded ones much better I recently bought the Hilmor GLM from Screwfix:
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?idc880
I do find it quite heavy and when bending 22mm quite an effort (yes I have lubricated the rollers and pivots). 15mm is easy. Getting a sequence of bends in exactly the right place and direction can be "interesting". There is a very good guide on how to use a bender on the web somewhere.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail
Dave Liquorice wrote: