Which brand for pipe benders please?

I'm looking at buying a proper set of copper pipe benders instead of messing with bending springs.

Can anyone reccommend any particular brand, selling near the lower price end (ie under 50 quid).

I have seen Faithfull for about £35 and Silverline (which are usually cheapest) are about £25. The Record ones are about £65 so too much to pay for my occaisional use.

Thanks for any pointers. Rob

Replace 'spam' with 'org' to reply

Reply to
Kalico

I brought a cheap set and they were crap. I really would spend around £55 on them or you can get substandard results. Mine continually crushed the pipe. I sent them back to screwfix and got a refund. The record ones I now have are excellent.

Reply to
Googlebot

Record or Rothenburger

Reply to
Stephen Dawson

I'd check out Ebay for a Record one secondhand - it's built to last. Couple of cheaper ones I've used were basically rubbish.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

These purport to be Record at £ 49

this not the case? are they crap copies then?

Reply to
Vass

That is the record one. I can only presume screwfix have changed the brand. The last one was about £36 IIRC.

Reply to
Googlebot

How about the mini tube bender?

Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Actually, the formers are (deliberately) soft and easily damaged by dropping the tool or using them when dirty or with dirty pipe, which can cause grit to get embedded. That's what I would be very careful to check with a second-hand one.

I got my Record one from B&Q around 4 years ago, and it was about £50 then. No complaints and works very well. Make sure the box has a pair of straight formers in it -- I had to go through half the stock before I found a box which did as most were missing. Occasionally, plumbers merchants have them on special offer -- I kicked myself for not buying the Record one at a plumbers merchant 6 months earlier when I saw it much reduced.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

On this topic.

What is the smallest radius of the bending for 15mm and for 22mm tha one can achieve with these benders

-- asalcedo

Reply to
asalcedo

Hilmor GLM

See product code 7762 on

about in budget

Reply to
John Rumm

Just don't ever look up the price of spares for the Record bender, they make the original purchase seem the bargain of the century!

Reply to
Matt

Bought a Rothenburger on a special offer , about 45 quid 10 years ago, never hesitate to use it and its still like new.

Reply to
nthng2snet

Right. I've found mine to be superb over many years use, but then I tend to look after tools. The formers look like ordinary cast alluminimum to me - are you saying better brands use something stronger?

I've got a Hilmor floor standing conduit bender and that uses a similar idea for the formers.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

but also sell one for £23, which I think is likely to be by Silverline.

That's a big difference. Is it worth it?

Replace 'spam' with 'org' to reply

Reply to
Kalico

Never heard of this brand. Are they any good?

Also, anyone got experience of the Faithfull brand?

Rob

Replace 'spam' with 'org' to reply

Reply to
Kalico

The smallest is also the largest radius. Approx without measuring - 65mm for 15mm and

100mm for 22mm.

I could say whether that to the inside, centreline or outside of the curve.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

They've been around for a while, & are well known!

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Not for pipe benders but their Skarsten scrapers are good. Personally (despite the horrendous cost of spares!) I'd stick with the Record ones.

Reply to
Matt

I bought the cheapo one for £23 from Toolstation and found it bent th pipe okay, but slightly on the skew. No good when you want to put double bend in a pipe. When released the sodding pipes would fly off i the wrong direction, hence to say ithis bender is now in a safe restin place......

the skip

-- Cordless Crazy

Reply to
Cordless Crazy