What kind of ladder?

As something of a newbie who feels he ought to do more about the house, I wonder if anyone would be so kind as tell my what kind of ladder I ought to buy to enable me to, say, safely reach and work/clear the gutters on my ordinary 2 storey quasi-semi. They seem to come with all sorts of names/descriptions.

Reply to
GPG

one thats tall enough to reach just above the gutters when stood at an angle, and get or make a wide standoff thing for the top. Those really make a difference.

Its easy to make your own ladders, and very cheap. Something that size comes in at about a tenner. The downside is its a fair bit heavier. You also wouldnt want to put employees up it for legal reasons.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

GPG said the following on 22/11/2005 15:53:

Have a look here:

then read through the "sections" for further info.

Reply to
Rumble

A three tier class A is it? might be class 1? not sure... you want on that will reach and feels safe to you really and that's all there is t it. Some types out there are for commercial use more so than DIY There's no need to spend too much on them if you're just clearing th guttering.

You can buy ones these days that double up as step ladders too... hand for if you're painting and things around the home. Some can even form similar affair to the table that magicians use when they cut people i half and spin them around in a coffin-like affair.

Maybe that one would be handy for when the wife is asking (nagging about DIY

-- Snowball

Reply to
Snowball

multi section extending ladder with standoff, assuming you have a good place to rest the bottom.

I'd ask the window cleaner what he will chage, and if its less than 20 quid pay him.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

Oh my God!

Reply to
Aidan

In message , Snowball writes

For a standard semi - say height to gutter of about 6m then a two section extension ladder would be the one to go for Probably 8-9 m (off the top of my head - need to check on one of the ladder websites - someone has already suggested ladderstore) Class 1 is probably overkill, that is the top classification - 'Heavy industrial' use. I would suggest going for a EN131 (class 2) ladder, though a class 3 domestic, as sold in the sheds will be ok for this sort of job. But they don't feel as safe when you are up them as the better ones. I bought one for my old house, when I get one for the new house I'll go for an EN131.

I go with the suggestion of a standoff, makes working on the gutter so much easier and safer as the ladder can go up past the gutter

Reply to
chris French

Might also be worth mentioning that if you are of a heavier build, that many of the domestic rated ladders are only specified to carry upto 15 stone, and even if you are comfortably inside the weight limit they will still fles and waft about far more.

Note also that box section stiles seem better than "I" section.

Personally I find the EN131 ladders are far better in every respect and would not dream of using a class 3 one for anything over 6'

Yup I will "third" that!

Reply to
John Rumm

I have a 2 part 3.4m (closed) ladder which is long enough to reach my gutters on a 2 storey house.

One advantage of a shorter ladder is that it is that much easier to manipulate, as I can easily reach above the centre of gravity.

Reply to
Michael Chare