Peugeot Frustration Reloaded [ping Cicero]

I've been sorting out a binding brake on a Peugeot 106.

Quoting Cicero in previous thread.

> You're supposed to use new nuts as they're staked at one point into a 'V' > groove on the end of the stub axle. The locking up you mention may be > caused by a brake lining detaching from the shoe (failed bonding) which > seems to occur occasionally with Peugeot shoes.

Spot on mate!

Lining was detached. It's on the floor right here.

fixed now (new shoes and new nuts of course)

Thanks.

david

Reply to
Vortex5

Tsk Tsk.

That should NOT happen.

And all copper greased to the nines we hope.

Good feeling to drive a car that you absolutely KNOW fora fact has its brakes in proper working order, cos you did it yourself.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I hope that you are not suggesting putting the old copper grease on the linings as well?

Just being a bit mischievous. LOL

Reply to
Cash

Yup

Reply to
Vortex5

And by the way I took another photo but due to operator incompetence it as not visible.

Both here:

Vortex5

Well done! Glad to have been able to offer a little help.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

That second photo is excellent - shows exactly where to go in to release the self adjuster.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

and new wheel cylinders ?

Reply to
Mark

In article , Cicero writes

Looks like one of the rubber boots is coming off the brake cylinder.

It's a long time since I did any DIY car mechanics, but if that was my car I'd be fitting a new cylinder and shoes and cleaning everything up thoroughly. Or would that be unnecessary?

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

That was literally immediately after removing the drum. I took the photo because the pics on the ancient Haynes book that came with the car have the contrast of potato prints. Wanted to be sure where to replace the springs.

Of course I cleaned it all up. There were no hydraulic leaks or drips so I left the cylinder in situ.

All my previous brake shoe experience was in the 1970's and 80's on BMC vehicles, which IIRC all used Lockheed brakes with manual adjusters. I clearly recall the frustrating 3 stage process of removing the shoes; then realising a new slave cylinder is needed [go out on bicycle to obtain cylinder] then shearing off the brake pipe [go out on bicycle again to obtain brake pipe] then finding a helper to bleed the brakes - all making a

1 hour process take a day. D
Reply to
Vortex5

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Mark saying something like:

Certainly signs of seepage.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

absolutely, and this is for his children to drive "There were no hydraulic leaks or drips" SHGTS

Reply to
Mark