cucumber frustration :(

i tried growing cucumbers last yr and again this yr but got nabbed by a virus both

yrs, so frustrating :(. i checked to see if they were blight resistant and virus resistant as well so it just adds to the frustration of things.

anyone else have problems

Reply to
sockiescat

I don't have virus problems, but my cucumber seedlings kept getting eaten by earwigs. I finally planted seeds in peat pellets and set the pellets right up on the ground surrounded by cardboard, and some of them finally grew, but they are only about a foot high at this point in mid-August! Slow year for me, definitely.

--S.

Reply to
Suzanne D.

Mine always succumb to bacterial wilt.

For a while, I was growing them under screening, to exclude the beetles that carry bacterial wilt. So then they started dying of fungus (no real air circulation under the screen).

So I skipped a couple of years. This year, no screening, the seedlings were mercilessly attacked by earwigs, overcame that to start setting some fruit, then died of wilt. I got two cucumbers.

I used to be able to buy an insecticide specific for cucumber beetles (encapsulated bait made with cucurbitacin). I used to grow such nice melons and cukes. Not anymore.

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

We have basically the same problem here. Haven't had a decent crop of pickling cucumbers or muskmelons for years.

Ross.

Reply to
Ross

I'm having a great year for cucumbers, in fact I'm about to start pickling them because I've saturated on eating fresh cumcumbers. I've also have a million tomatoes, the pumpkins are doing well and I did OK with peas. I only had blueberries for a couple of weeks this year as did the strawberries. Last year I got no cucumbers, no peas, and hardly any tomatoes but I had blueberries from the spring through the fall. The difference was that last year was cold and wet which killed all of my vegetables but was great for my fruit, this year is hot and dry which is great for the vegetables and sucks for the fruit.

Reply to
General Schvantzkoph

Don?t think I have a virus, maybe rootbound. Yellow leaf edges, and spots. But I did get a half dozen cuks from the vine. I'm waiting to see if the last two inflate ;) This vine was grown in a pot. First time I tried growing cucumbers.

Cheers

Reply to
Martin Riddle

Reply to
jimmy

I gave up on my cukes long ago, got a few. The squash just disappeared, like it was never there. Something is eating my habenaro pepper, both leaves and peppers, but how many habenaro peppers do I need?

It's been a bit a hot year, and I've been very busy, so I've been negligent.

My blueberies, planted last year, have done well. Peaches look good too, although I don't know what to expect in the season.

My tomatoes have done well, and my neighbor who has all the sunlight, is a tomato factory. Neither of us has had any musk melons, some honeydew.No bell peppers.

Since, we are novice gardeners, we assume we just screwed up! But nature has been quirky.

With El Nino warming things up we can get over the last few "cool" years (there's been a La Nina). Should be interesting.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies

When I looked up recipes that used habaneros, the most that I saw used was 1/2. Usually it was 1/4. They have great heat, but will definitly take the edge off any excess testosterone that you may have. Personally, I like the flavor of jalapenos better.

Praise the lord, we will be getting our 3rd day of 90+°F (32°C) today. (Not in a row, but for the season:O( I'm expecting the tomato patch to turn red this afternoon.

Reply to
Billy

and a strong wind, it really dried everything out. Will have to water everything in the am. Since July 1, we have had 4 days in the high 80s, 9 days over 100, and the rest all between 90 and 99. It is "supposed" to get down to 77 by Sat. We shall see.

You might enjoy looking at a very nice farm near here. Same family for almost 100 years.

Emilie

Reply to
mleblanca

Nice thought, but we've always lived near the ocean, What can I say?

We didn't make it to 90°F. It was 88°F but that was OK because no one here is ready for 90°F weather. They'd be swooning in the streets. We stayed inside most of the day. Gotta et up early tomorrow to stack fire wood, before it gets almost warm ;O)

Reply to
Billy

Well, my social networking isn't working too well. Personal accounts had yesterdays temps at less than 90°F, but the local paper says we hit 96°F yesterday, and they have us penciled in for 99°F today, oy. Had all the windows open last night to cool off the house. I was planning on doing a quiche tonight, but maybe I'll put that off, and do salad and cheese instead.

I enjoyed looking at . That is what we need more of in this country. It doesn't look as if they are as intensive as Salatin, but the food looks just as healthy, and admittedly it is more varied. They mention that grass raised beef is less likely to have E. coli 0157:H7 (the deadly kind), that is because E. coli 0157:H7 thrives in an acidic environment which steers get in their rumens when they eat grain. If steers weren't slaughtered at 6 mo., they would die from stomach ulcers anyway.

Too bad it gets so hot (103°F in Chico, so you should be about 99°F today and 98°F tomorrow). Do you go to Lake Oroville to escape the heat, or up the mountain? When it gets hot here, we pack a lunch and run for the coast. We used to go to the river, but it is getting more and more polluted.

Well, my wood is waiting. I'd better get to it. Stay cool.

Reply to
Billy