Perpetual motion?

John Rumm put finger to keyboard:

A much better option is to simply put big wheels on the back and small wheels on the front so when you're on the flat, or even a slight upwards gradient, you're driving downhill.

Reply to
Scion

Doesnt that make going uphill harder?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Turn it round and go up it backwards.

Reply to
polygonum

Duh! Of course.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I find it beter not to use it in the first place but I don;t drive.

So are you saying it's better to accelerate to say a red light and then brake fast to reclaim the energy, I'd thought it better to slow down in the above case.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Although you might fall out of your seat and land in the ashtray - so you had better add some padding to it!

Reply to
John Rumm

Sounds lovely... shame they are the best part of £30K

If it lasts 8 years you might even break even!

There is also the minor point that most folks would be happy to buy a

70k mile 8 year old VW Bluemotion or similar, but would not dream of touching a plug in car that will be near to the end of its battery life.
Reply to
John Rumm

John Rumm put finger to keyboard:

Just brace yourself against the accelerator pedal. Get some real speed up!

Reply to
Scion

You could probably end that sentence after 'plug in car'.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

You need to reduce that drag, move to a total vacuum.

Reply to
The Other Mike

Once again talking our of your arse. I paid 16K

Reply to
harryagain

I'm saying if I need to slow down for any reason, instead of dissipating the enrgy as heat in the brakes or engine, it is recovered and put back into the battery. Anticipation helps, the regeneration level can also be controlled by a lever placed where a conventional ger lever is placed.

Of cousre speeding up and slowing down results in net loss of energy as the recovery procees is only around 50% efficient.

Reply to
harryagain

Perpetual motion is easy with an electric car. When you come to a hill, you make the passengers get out and walk to the top. Going down the other side they get back in, so adding to the regeneration available.

Unfortunately SWMBO won't agree to do this. :-)

Reply to
harryagain

Look up the list price...

I paid way less than that for my last car... your point being?

Reply to
John Rumm

My point being it does not cost 30K.

Reply to
harryagain

You could have bought a decent car and all the fuel for ten years for less than that. Unlimited range and no plugging in. Internal combustion engines are the future.

Reply to
The Other Mike

But don't forget the £5k bung^H^H^H^Hgrant.

Reply to
Andy Burns