Vitovalor - Perpetual motion?

Just seen an advert for a Vitovalor hydrogen fuel cell Boiler / generator.

Woman was enthusing about how her home is lovely and warm AND they export electric to the grid.

Anyone know how these are supposed to work?

Do the pixies come and replenish the fuel cell(s) FOC While you sleep?

Do they recharge on E7 cheaply at night?

Or will she find her fuel cell runs out after 6 months?

Reply to
cpvh

And when you visit the website, the thing that leaps out at you is

"6 grand govt. subsidy"

which should tell you all you need to know ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

it's a combined fuel cell and condensing boilers which needs a natural gas supply. I looked at it briefly with a view to the new boiler planned for next year (not DIY) but it's v big, expensive and I don't know if the subsidies will still be available then. And I also couldn't find out easily the cost of maintenance and parts.

Reply to
Robin

harry

Thanks all, perhaps when they have one a fifth of the size at a tenth of the price that runs on oil or calor.

Reply to
cpvh

Like most of these things they undoubtedly work but the sheer complexity might create problems later on and the are not cheap I remember a guy on a local station some years ago saying that the university had a ar working on a fuel cell, but some of the temperatures involved were high waste heat really and that at present it was only used to charge, as it would need to be bigger to run a car direct and the membranes it used eventually became polluted and had to be replaced. It used Hydrogen and Oxygen as a fuel I'd imagine then that it was 1960s technology not unsimilar to the fuel cells on Apollo and Shuttle. Surely by now we have made more progress? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I recently swapped some storage heaters.

For some reason they had "fuel cells" and not bricks inside the new ones.

What's made of clay, fit's into a uniform pattern with other cells to make a wall and weights a lot?

Reply to
ARW

Riddles? Not fair! not fair! It isn't fair, my precious, is it.

PS

Iss'is'it "politicians' feet" master?

Reply to
Robin