Perpetual motion: you work it out ...

A battery and electromagnet in one or all of the three boxes, giving a tiny periodic "kick" against the U shaped magnets?

The copper tube, the acrylic disc and pointy electrodes being distractions?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Given that it *can’t* be perpetual motion, I’m not sure I can be bothered trying to explain, particularly as there are so many obvious places to hide a battery in the construction.

A “clever” PMM would have no hiding places for a power source, but perhaps rely of atmospheric oxidation of the structure to power it. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Hey, wow perpetual motion! Free energy! Let's just hook up this drive belt so we can get it to perform useful work and... oh shit - it's stopped.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Drive it like a Crooke's radiometer. The curator says it keeps going in the basement, even with the lights off, but has anybody seen it moving with the lights off? ;-)

Reply to
Colin Bignell

There are many ways to do this, and, as they say in the video, that machine is stuffed with red herrings.

I'll just add that my parents in law had an Atmos clock. That was a clock that ran continuously, powered purely by changes in atmospheric pressure. MIL had it running for 30 years, and after she died my BIL has had it running a few years longer. All without winding it, and even more remarkably I do not think that it has ever been serviced.

In comparison, the machine in the video requiring the batteries to be changed every 2 to 3 years is rather unimpressive. :)

Reply to
GB

Ode to Youtube

--------------

1) Perpetual motion machine 2) Youtube video 3) (Perpetual) Profit!

Yes, I see how that works.

It's powered by Grammarly adverts.

"Est. Video Value $ 27.51K - $ 31.91K"

It's a living.

99 bottles of beer on the wall, 99 bottles of beer, You take one down, (show a grammarly advert), 98 bottles of beer on the wall.

The machine is driven by profit.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Am 08.01.2023 um 17:14:57 Uhr schrieb Jethro_uk:

Forget that BS, it simply doesn't work.

Reply to
Marco Moock

The most obvious being that thing with the heat sink fins!

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Hmm... assuming it's battery powered somehow (she did say it goes away for 'servicing' every couple of years which I assume means a new battery or recharging), a unit that generates so much heat as to need cooling fins isn't going to run for very long.

A simple compass would be a useful tool to help discover how it works

- are those big U-magnets really magnets? Is there a magnetic pulse generated from the box with the cooling fins? etc.

I was a little surprised by the bearings, which seemed to include ball-races. I have a couple of Mendocino* solar motors that use magnetic levitation (neodymium magnets) to support the rotors and they are *very* low friction.

*one horizontal axis like this
vertical axis like this
Chris Hogg

And can you really afford to just dissipate heat as waste in a system for supposedly generating PM such as this?!

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I'd suggest that "servicing" looks after all those non-electical things; brakes, lubrication of hinges, etc

Reply to
charles

It has brakes and hinges?

Reply to
Chris Hogg

My money would be on the three blocks being magnetic sensors and low power impulse drives powered by a small battery inside each one. It is very carefully balanced and on high quality low friction bearings.

To keep it moving just requires replacing the energy that is lost to friction perhaps only one drive pulse in a few hundred rotations.

Deconstructed electric motor pretty much describes it. I expect you could detect the magnetic drive pulses with suitably chosen external magnetic sensors and an oscilloscope.

The OxfordBell is probably the closest to perpetual motion that we are ever likely to see using a Zamboni dry pile to generate static electricity. It has been ringing continuously since 1840!

I have an end of 1950's era Zamboni pile for night vision devices that comes pretty close to perpetual motion. The way it fails is that the aluminium foil that it will make move eventually work hardens and snaps.

My instinct is that whatever drives it will be right at the perimeter where it has most leverage so that the electrostatic bits in the middle are a distraction and so is the random plumbing with the heat sinked box

- there is no way an ultra low power device needs a heat sink!

Reply to
Martin Brown

50 Hz resonant circuit to harvest power from the circuits running near most everything, outside a field in the country?

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

The question is just how it doesn't work.

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

I obviously cannot see this video, but the classic so called perpetual motion demonstration was the little globe with two crossed arms with four paddles one on each end and a central pivot. One side of the paddle appeared dark, and the other light. It rotated, and seemed to do so wherever you put it.

It had something to do with warm and cold bodies and the forces in the absorption and radiation as I recall, so it was not really perpetual motion as one assumes it changed the energy levels in the place where it resided, but ever so slowly. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I'd say the three boxes had weights moved by battery power. Perhaps a disc in the same plane as the wheel with a weight on, rotated slowly by a motor. Maybe synchronised using an orientation sensor of some sort.

The rest is red herrings.

Reply to
Clive Arthur

Yes I guess what I described was a radiometer, but you could presumably observe if it had a system where it ran off the temperature using just an infra red camera.

One also has to realise that the universe started out of nothing, we are told, but define your nothing. The fact that the explosive force was so big even space was stretched has to suggest that energy is always there, and yet we have not the foggiest idea why, as its outside of the universe with its laws. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

That'll be the Crookes Radiometer - I had one as a lad... Semi-evacuated glass enclosure, dark sides and light sides on the 'paddles'. Natty little thing, dating back to the 1870's.. Wikipedia knows all about it

Adrian Brentnall