Alternative to rubber for vibration absorbing?

I bought a "rubber bench block" on ebay, but when I unpacked it, it really stank and gave me a bad headache. I wanted to experiment by putting rubber blocks underneath my bed legs, to stop vibrating floorboards from shaking the bed and waking me up.

Can anyone think of an alternative to rubber please? How about sand, placed in some kind of soft pouch like container? (I'm just guessing here!)

Thanks a lot for any ideas.

Reply to
cdr

My son has a sandbox under his turntable, since he still listens to vinyl. I have a waterbed with 400 litres of water. No vibration gets past that! My washing machine is the only thing that could vibrate a floor, however the floor consists of a 9 cubic metre block of concrete so the washing machine doesn't have a chance.

Reply to
Matty F

1) Put the rubber blocks under the source of the vibration. 2) Fix the floorboards

3) Fit stiff springs to the bed feet

4) Suspend the bed on ropes; from the ceiling if it is strong enough, else build a frame to carry it.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

In message , cdr writes

Could you not wrap your smelly rubber in cling film to contain the smell while you experiment?

Stiff plastic foam as used for sun beds etc.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Turn bed into hydrofoil?

Reply to
F Murtz

The mind boggles what might be vibrating you floorboards in the first place.Do you have gymnasts with strange sexual practices next door?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yess adding mass to the bed would probably be a good thing, but maybe the best approach is to stop the floor vibrating in the first place. Sounds a bit dangerous to me. In the rubber problem of smelly, this is probably neoprene rubber. What you need is perhaps a pile of that cellular rubber carpet underlay instead. This seems not to pong. presumably this problem has been eliminated due to where its used, ie it would not be much use if it stank the place out!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Well, the mattress already does that. Get a better one?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And we all know that watercraft have hammocks - which neatly ties in 4) on Colin's response. Turn bed into hydrofoil and install a hammock on board.

Reply to
polygonum

Wrap the rubber blocks in thick plastic sheeting or heavy-duty rubble sacks sealed shut which wouldn't allow the smell to escape?

Reply to
Bert Coules

In article , Brian Gaff scribeth thus

Wasn't this poster here with a loud slamming door by other residents problem the other week?...

Reply to
tony sayer

It might be just me (or my newsreader) but this thread keeps disappearing. I see the latest contribution but no previous ones, and then when I come back to the group even that last post has gone. The whole subject vanishes until a new post turns up.

Reply to
Bert Coules

Idiot. Somehow I'd switched the view to "hide read messages"...

Reply to
Bert Coules

Wrap the rubber bench blocks in cling film.

Do I get a prize for cheapest solution?

Reply to
GB

That reminds me to read the whole thread before commenting in future.

Reply to
GB

I'd be more concerned with stopping the vibrating floor boards.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

carpet pads, a few layers.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Or Sorbothane sheet - but it isn't cheap.

It might be easier and more effective to screw loose floorboards down.

Reply to
Martin Brown

The smell will probably disappear after a while.

Reply to
harryagain

That means a new bed, surely?

Reply to