PC woes

Then you'll have spares if it turns out to be something else :-)

Soon you'll have enough spares to just keep swapping components till you find the fault by a process of elimination. Then you'll be a standard PC repair facility.

Reply to
stuart noble

It could have worked loose, but I think you're ruling out the heatsink with the subsequent tests.

If you're anywhere near Bracknell, there's a computer fair on Sunday which is usually stuffed full of this sort of thing.

you'll see from the webpage, it moves around the South every Sunday. Also happens every Saturday near Tottenham Court Road, but the lighting's so poor in that venue it's difficult to see what you're buying.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

The sparkling clean heatsink works just the same as the dirty one. Looking again at the power management page in the BIOS the temperature rapidly climbs from ambient to 75C or so and it shuts down. But the heatsink is cool to the touch - certainly nothing like 75C. Just ambient temp at a guess.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No - it's a tight fit via the clamp. And the compound is obviously in close contact as it's acting like a glue.

Could be the one I see advertised at Crystal Palace - but I've never been.

I paid roughly 100 quid for the MB and CPU so if they are still the same price it might not be worth the hassle of travelling to buy from an unknown.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

At least it looks nicer now! Shame.

Unfortunately, I cannot remember the temperature my PC gets to in a similar period. Will try later.

Reply to
Rod

Is the processor actually getting hot then ?

Assuming that the Heatsink is doing what it should, the probabilities are that

you have some kind of short which is ramping up the temperature too quickly for the heat to be conducted away to the processor

or

the sensor is faulty and the processor is shutting down because the reported temperature is incorrect

Reply to
geoff

One of my guesses too.

Likewise.

Neither of which is likely to be fixable.

I phoned Stak who supplied everything and it seems the 939 socket MBs are obsolete. A modern replacement MB also takes different RAM. And doesn't have the same number of PCI sockets, etc. Which is a pain as my machine is configured mainly for AV work with balanced sound inputs and video, etc. He reckoned the on board stuff is pretty good these days - but only time will tell.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Send me a photo of the mbd, I'll see if I have anything similar

Reply to
geoff

Dave, just upgraded my next-door neighbours computer with these - well recommended

Mobo (£29.47)

(£31.02)
(ebuyer currently out of stock)

Heatsink/fan (£6.14)

(£14.21)

John

Not sure if you've heard of Freecycle, but it's a message board service set up in "local" areas, where rather than throw stuff out, you offer it for free to people.

PCs are *always* appearing on the one in Liverpool, perhaps finding a local group might get you a close match for what you've currently got.

Colin Wilson

If the heatsink/cpu is not getting hot, so assuming a fault with the MB sensing have you tried disabling or altering the cpu shutdown temp in the bios.

Also how did you get on with the fake N95, it seems a customer in my pub has also bought a dodgy one from ebay.

-
Reply to
Mark

There are /many/ types, which do you have?

Do you just want a scenario or a forensic investigation? For a possible scenario which I believe I have seen.. you fit the cpu but don't push it in far enough.. you fit the heat sink on top and it is tilted.. it make ok contact until thermal creep moves the chip.. it fails.

Reply to
dennis

don't know what ram you have.

Reply to
dennis

Dave where are you? I have a spare socket 939 board here in Berkshire...

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Dave Plowman (News)" saying something like:

A sharp whack with a mallet will cure that.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

In message , Grimly Curmudgeon writes

your inability to spell "angle grinder" correctly is worrying ...

Reply to
geoff

It's now shutting down so quickly there's not time to alter anything.

Money has been refunded to Paypal after putting it in dispute with them. Hasn't reached my bank account yet, though. The seller rolled over pretty sharpish. Thank goodness I bought from one with a large and good feedback

- although I'm sure he knew what he was selling.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Really not possible. It has two cams which clamp it down firmly. If it wasn't fitted correctly they'd not operate. I dunno about other designs but with this one I'd say it's impossible to get it wrong.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Have you tried a good dose of freezer spray, not much to lose now.

-
Reply to
Mark

Switch the option off in BIOS then, worse case is you'll kill the processor.

AJH

Reply to
AJH