PC woes

As a supplementary, if I fit a new motherboard and processor, memory etc as the 939 socket MBs are obsolete, will I have to re-install XP and everything else?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"Dave Plowman (News)" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Windows Genuine Disadvantage will certainly throw it's toys, and insist you re-authenticate your copy of XP. That may or may not work.

You will certainly find plug'n'pray going mental on the first boot up - you may find that there are driver issues which need you to go into safe mode and install drivers manually.

It's probably as good a time as any to do your periodic reinstall.

Reply to
Adrian

Ships?

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Thanks for replying to Adrian's post, Dennis, I've got gmail blocked because of the amount of spam from it.

I've never re-installed it either.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

My day-to-day XP laptop has never needed re-installation since it was new in August 2003, it *has* been restored with PQDI due to a failed hard drive, it has had countless program installations/removals/updates, even beta versions of service packs, it would take me a seriously long time to flatten it and re-install everything.

Reply to
Andy Burns

This will work even if you have to phone the number and talk to a person.

What periodic reinstall? This is windows not ubuntu where you get a new release every six months that doesn't always upgrade the previous version. My XP machine hasn't been reinstalled for over three years unlike my ubuntu one.

Reply to
dennis

If you fit another motherboard which is not the same as the old one, you would have to re-install the board drivers whatever

You should not need to re-install XP

Reply to
geoff

*Gotcha alert*

Make sure you read up on it first. If the motherboard chipset is different you might get to the point where XP won't boot - you can't just swap it *then* play with the drivers.

I've had success in the past by uninstalling specific chipset drivers and reinstalling the generic microsoft drivers before swapping the motherboard, then letting it update to the new specific ones after rebooting.

Here's a link that looks like it covers everything I've come across before...

Reply to
PCPaul

It depends on how different it is. If the new board requires a different Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) because of (e.g.) different chipsets then it is pretty difficult, if not impossible to switch things around.

It is perhaps worth an attempt, but if bad things start to happen, it can take a lot of pissing around and time used to get sensible results. Considering that there have already been issues, it's probably a much better idea to start again.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I second this. I always buy a new HD. Install the OS on that and attach the old disk to copy off all the files. This way you get a quick re-install, more hard disk space and an extra back up.

Reply to
Mark

You just boot from the XP CD and do a repair-install. This preserves all your installed applications, data, profiles etc. If you need drivers that aren't in XP (eg newer RAID) press F6 when prompted or slipstream with nlite

on a working PC.

However - if you have the OEM version of XP it won't activate online with your existing key and you may have a real problem persuading MS to activate by phone. (Not an issue with Retail or Volume Licence versions).

Reply to
LSR

Sadly that's what I have.

However, seems if I replace the MB with what's available now I'll need new HDs too as the existing are IDE as are the CD writers. And modern MBs appear to have only one IDE buss. Nor do they seem to have facilities for a floppy. So in practice I'd be down to building effectively a complete new computer.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yerrs. However if the case PSU screen and video card are good, its not that expensive..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Doesn't matter now you have put the heat sink on better does it? Maybe you can nudge it off again and still have an excuse for a new toy?

Reply to
dennis

I was told I'd need a new video card. Not enough PCI slots for my other existing cards (sound, video, TV).

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Gee thanks. Are you related to Dribble?

You've obviously not a clue of the type of heatsink used with an Athlon

  1. It's simply impossible to fit it incorrectly. If the latches latch it is correctly fitted.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

What sort of video card is it? They will normally be PCIe (not PCI) - and on older boards: AGP. If you don't have enough slots then buy a MB with more!

Reply to
Mark

I'm more than happy with the current MB in terms of slots. But I'm told this type of MB is obsolete.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

This is theoretically true. Practially it isn't because the Windows installation does a shitty job of detecting changed basic motherboard hardware after initial install. Whether this is incompetence or by design, I don't know. Bear in mind that the acivation stuff looks for substantive changes to hardware.

The point is that while one is titting around trying to make other environments work, having conflicting drivers and so on, a new installation can have been done.

Reply to
Andy Hall

What does "Not enough PCI slots for my other existing cards (sound, video, TV)" mean then?

Reply to
Mark