PC Speaker recommendations

No problems with pre owned.

I had not thought thought of that option.

Reply to
ARW

What are they for. By this I mean are you going to use them for hi quality audio? Personally I find stuffing the output into a hi fi very nice, but if its an internal card, then it will most likely have all sorts of crud on the power supply. to get good audio you need a good external sound card with either its own USB psu, or a USB powered hub with a big well made supply, even then you can hear a whine and need to clean the USB plugs every so often I find. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Some of the Creative lab ones are not bad, but they do tend to have issues with hum or dodgy connections. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Even a cheapish stereo sounds better than the rubbish run of the mill speakers you get these days unless you use bose or something. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Only when the bill comes in.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Cheers - I will have a look.

I've got my eye on some Kanto YU4's or maybe YU6's for another living area that could do with something HiFi-ish. Not cheap but excellent reviews and loads of inputs. But it's always worth checking out other stuff that might be as good and I can actually listen to.

Reply to
Tim Watts

In message , ARW writes

If you were nearer, I could have dug something out of the garage. I am sure I have another the same as the thing I've used for years.

It's a Sony device designed to sit under the tube type monitor, which would sit on a floating plate behind the control section. The suspension was to stop the sound from the speakers at the front causing lines or other disturbance when they vibrated the screen.

I think I ebayed a similar device, not by Sony, some years ago and got no takers. The freecycle recipient got in touch later to express his delight.

Reply to
Bill

A couple of weeks' ago I spent about £30 on a sound bar from

It sits behind my monitor rather than under it. I'm perfectly happy with it, but my hearing isn't what it used to be.

Reply to
charles

Yep. I need to boost the treble these days. Listening to Black Sabbath, Eisbrecher and BlutEngel at full volume probably doesn't help :-o

Reply to
Tim Watts

Also worth keeping in mind that a £25 Chromecast Audio will turn anything with a line in connection into an all singing (but possibly not dancing) streaming audio service.

Reply to
John Rumm

Take your pick

JoeJoe

I have several sets of these

Creative Soundworks speakers (all cheap used on eBay) which must be quite vintage by now but still sound good to me. They're 4.1 but I use them as 2.1 on this machine because there's nowhere the rears would easily fit. They make the telly sound better when watching videos too.

Reply to
Rob Morley

"If ", one of the biggest words in the English language .

Reply to
soup

You're into the same problem as with any speakers. To get a decent bottom end at reasonable volume needs largish speakers. Or to split that signal up.

I've got an ancient Cambridge PC speaker system that has a sub (which also contains the electronics) making the stereo pair pretty small - only about

2" square. Sound pretty good for a low cost system. But I'd guess from the days of desktops where space isn't so much of a problem, rather than an add on for a laptop.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

We've one of these at work, handy as it's battery as well as mains.

Reply to
R D S

R D S

And went for more than my bid.

Reply to
ARW

Lets amuse that no 1 is similar to the s**te I already own (although someone put her high heels through one of the speakers so I am mono ATM)

So I am looking at no 2 and no 3 but I have no wish for a full opera at

98dB with full quality sound.

Might as well buy this

or this

ARW

You might get more bang for your buck with a 2.1 set rather than a 5.1 setup, if you don't actually need the rear speakers (handy for movies, and some games, but not much benefit for music)

Reply to
John Rumm