Cuckoo clock oil

If anybody has one? I have one which was made in West Germany, it is perhaps 50 years old. It stoppped working a few years ago. Blasted it with WD40. Did not work and you are not supossed to do that. Looked on the Interweb for oil. Expensive and I don't know which bits to oil. Blasted it with meths, did not work. You are not suppossed to do that. Soaked it with 3 In One Oil. Two years later it is still ticking away.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Yes well proper oil tends to lubricate, most of the other things tends to just clean or blast crap out.

The thing not to oil is the cuckoo itself these are very fragile devices. Most of the problems with them particularly the weight operated ones is the ingress of muck such as if its in a place where there are smokers or steam. It gets in through the chain holes and sticks to the lubricant. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

No smokers. No steam. The 3 In One Oil just seemed to work. I had this clock from the hall way into the garage whilst I messed around with it. The actual cuckoo sound was destroyed by my dad. He took all of the tiny bits of wire of and chucked them away. Seems the shouting from the clock got up his nose. He could have just taken a weight off .........

Brian Gaff wrote:

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Is Cuckoo clock oil made by the same people as Robin starch?

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

?
Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Before oiling a clock you really need to take it to pieces and clean it with an organic solvent. The oil in the bearings is only held in by surface tension and any muck will not only gum up the works but also encourage the oil to dribble out of the bearings leaving them dry.

Reply to
Max Demian

Reply to
newshound

If you saw the gears and things in that clock ....................

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Joshua Slocum had trouble with his clock. He boiled it in paraffin.

(While sailing around the world single handed 120 years ago.)

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris