Parking Charge

Not at our local hospital you don't (and a couple of other places), as you start to type the reg it only displays those regs that match up to that point.

I noticed the Lidl parking thing had changed recently from where they typed the reg in themselves at the till (with it coming up as soon as there was a discrete match) to a diy solution where you have to type the whole thing in.

A few years back I drove into a carpark at Stanstead and was slightly surprised when taking the ticket from the machine and seeing my reg already printed on it. Ok, I knew ANPR had been about a while even then but it was still interesting to see it used in a carpark. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

The one I most recently used was low tech and a standalone machine, so you needed the whole lot.

I think it was in Faversham.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I've not seen one where you type in the car number and it then issues a ticket which you display.

Yes. As I said earlier, I got caught by the till person not asking me for my number. As far as I knew, they could have stopped that system, since it hadn't been on the go long. But has now changed to a terminal where you DIY it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

But you must be talking about a pay before exit paystation, when your entry was managed by ANPR.

Up to now we have been discussing pay after entry with no camera enforcement.

Reply to
Graham.

Yes. ;-)

Yeahbut I was (indirectly) responding to Daves "If the system has number plate recognition cameras, no need for a paper ticket." subthread. ;-)

At the local hospital you get (or got, may have changed, again) a ticket at the car park entry barrier and your presence on site is also logged by APNR (I guess because it's a big site they would needs loads of cameras)? When you enter the car park you take a ticket and when you leave you poke the ticket back in the machine *and* start to enter your reg (where it compares current matches on site etc) and it tells you what you owe.

The Stanstead one also had a ticket and ANPR but Lidls is / was ticketless.

Another hospital we frequent has ANPR on the entrance to the carpark then ticket machines scattered around. You pre pay for ticket and can top-up realtime if you stay longer OR, pay what is outstanding before you leave. I think you have to enter your reg on the ticket machine so it can check as you leave that you have paid all you owe (but doesn't tell you what you owe like the first hospital does).

I think I drove though a dropoff lane at Gatwick by mistake once where you are supposed to pay but only if you take longer than so many minutes between entry and exit or some such (I wasn't sure so asked in the cabin). A mate got a fine in the post for doing similar at Luton Airport.

It can all be very confusing, especially if you are in a rush (like at an airport) or not well (at a hospital). ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Our local shops had such but you only put in the numbers (from memory). They may have been simply to stop people passing their un expired tickets on.

And I've been asked several times when mostly we are on foot. ;-)

And didn't last long (that way) although I don't use them that often.

Luckily daughter had been there in between my last visit so showed me the ropes. It's a sign you are getting old when you have to check your reg by trying to see into the dark car park though the brightly lit store window. Now, when it displayed the hits on the screen it gave some good reassurance as at least you know the system has read your reg properly and you have minimised the risk of getting a PCN though the post (by clocking-out the right reg). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

One of the council car-parks here had that scheme, with an A-Z rather than QWERTY keyboard as an extra hindrance, but the wording said "enter up to three letters from vehicle registration" so I would just enter one letter.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I have unfortunately done this a couple of times myself. Both times, the ti cket had the unique number printed on both sides so when I sent them a copy of the front of my ticket they were able to confirm it was indeed the same one as I had displayed (albeit face down) against the photo taken by the w arden. Both times they canceled the fine.

Maybe this is why they have reduced the fine to £10 as better that tha n nothing.

Reply to
leenowell

Well you could get an online account.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I said 'I have seen them'. A while ago before they adopted online stuff. Anyway, Shepway use a different company to Canterbury and Thanet (I use Ringgo a lot).

Reply to
Bob Eager

Another I saw (at a hospital) had a keyboard like a telephone, with three or four letters on each key. The queues were dreadful.

Reply to
Bob Eager

There are some is Sedgley if you want to see one.

They are only there to stop you transferring any unused time to someone else, greedy councils at it again.

Reply to
dennis

a local supermarket has a dot matrix sign at the entrance which pops up with

ABC1234 free parking until 12:37

when you drive in (at 10:37)

tim

Reply to
tim...

At the time in question, the lassie on the checkout seemed keener with flirting with the laddie on the adjacent one. Quite funny - and rather distracted me from asking if she needed my number. It wasn't a store I used often enough for it to become second nature.

The problem I've found is getting the machine to read the barcode on the receipt. Can be a fiddle. But I'm in favour of the parking being controlled at that Clapham Junction store as too many were using it for other purposes. Since they introduced it much easier to find a space. However, Lidl have opened a large store in Wimbledon which is slightly closer anyway. And at the moment has no checks on parking.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

that's exactly why they introduced it

Reply to
tim...

You'd have thought it hardly worth the bother.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yeah, I saw in a parallel post that you didn't mean Canterbury.

I'm not sure if Canterbury's online part is still fully functional (it was only a trial at this stage anyway, AIUI) as when we changed cars in Oct I saw that I had to use the machine even though I'd changed the number plate in the online account.

But just being able to drive in/out of the car park with no farting about with cash or tickets was very nice - and only paying for the time used. Pay and Display was always a scam, IMO.

Reply to
Tim Streater

In Paddock Wood you get four hours free and then charges kick in. Useful for locals doing some shopping, discourages commuters from parking all day.

Reply to
Tim Streater

They used to do that using just the numeric part. That fell apart when the numeric part was the same for all new cars for a six month period...as it is now!

Reply to
Bob Eager

I've been using Ringgo in Canterbury/Herne Bay for about 18 months. This is using the mobile phone app. Particularly good when it's pissing down! I'm using it in Canterbury at least once a week now since I have part time work at CCCU.

And Ringgo also works in Thanet, which can be useful.

Reply to
Bob Eager