Outlets in bathrooms

What is the obsession with power outlets in bathrooms in the UK,in Australia almost every bathroom built in the last 20 years and many before have a power point in the bathroom and I doubt our electrocution in bathrooms is any worse than yours.

Reply to
F Murtz

Perhaps we have a colder climate than you have, so that people might/would take electric fires into their bathrooms - and then drop them in the bath water.

Reply to
charles

this might be why:

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Seems to me it's to stop those with wet hair drying it with a non-earthed, non-double insulated hair drier while sitting in the bath.

And, of course, an rcd knows when it's connected to a socket in the bathroom and will refuse to trip under those circumstances, thus ensuring electrocution for anyone silly enough to use such a socket. It's sooooo much safer to run an extension lead into the bathroom (unless the trip involved with that is catching your foot on it and falling down the stairs).

Reply to
Jeff Layman

No but in both countries they do take tellies and radios in and drop them in baths. Maybe they are more educated on health and safety over there? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Hmm, I wouldn't use American electrics as an examplar of anything much. Aluminium ("aluminum") wire, 110V (so twice the current), wire nuts, wooden houses and volunteer fire brigades ...

Reply to
Huge

It would seem to be significantly worse in fact. From :

Quick Facts 09?10 financial year

"28 electrical deaths were recorded in Australia and New Zealand in

2009? 10. This is equivalent to 1.10 deaths per million population (pmp). This was a steep increase from 16 deaths in 2008 ? 09. However, the 1.10 deaths pmp for the 2009 ? 10 is only slightly greater than the ten year average deaths pmp of 1.07"
Reply to
John Rumm

Should have added - we also had 28 deaths recorded for 2010 - but in a significantly larger population.

Reply to
John Rumm

Interesting, thanks. But I was shocked to see that 46% (13) of the 28 deaths in ANZ were "workplace accidents". That's a much higher proportion than here - 6 "work related".

Reply to
Robin
[22 lines snipped]

Could it be that a much higher proportion of the workforce in ANZ works on farms (or similar), which are much more dangerous than an office?

Reply to
Huge

And perhaps a typical UK house is more 'compact' than most built in the developed world, hence much smaller bathrooms and so much in reach of a filled bath.

Reply to
alan_m

Or could it be that they were pissed up?

Reply to
ARW