Electricity in Bathrooms

I've just been told by a bathroom company, somewhat to my surprise, that current regs forbid washing machines in bathrooms.

I thought they were allowed assuming

- outside Zone 2

- No socket, wired in

- proper protection on the circuit.

Can someone confirm or deny this?

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Since you have no other reply, I'll guess that it's because no-one has yet tested a washing machine for ingress protection.

It's an interesting question though. I hope someone has a more knowledgeable reply.

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

From the horse's mouth:

"Washing machines and tumble dryers may be installed in a bathroom provided they are:

  • supplied from a switched fused flex outlet installed outside the zones (socket outlets are only allowed 3 m horizontally from the boundary of zone 1);
  • protected by a 30 mA RCD;
  • and permitted for such installation by the manufacturer."

It's the last one that's likely to give you trouble - unless the manufacturer says it's OK in a bathroom, then it's not allowed.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Humphrey

If the manufacturer *doesn't* say it's *not* suitable, then it's allowed?

Or does such permission have to be actively given?

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Yes. They'd last far better in some outside damp utility room.

I'd guess my kitchen has at least as 'unfriendly' atmospheric conditions as my bathroom. The tiles certainly need cleaning more frequently.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If it's ok in a kitchen, it's ok in a bathroom. Both are equally damp and wet and steamy.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Ignore them and fit it yourself afterwards.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I have never lived in a house that has a damp, wet and steamy kitchen.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Splashing while filling pots from the sink is possible. Steam from pans and kettles is possible, Just like a bathroom.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I think the problem is the control panel switches on the washing machine.

Reply to
harry

When I first rented villas I was surprised to see washing machines in bathrooms - but if there is space it makes more sense than a kitchen. Pants down - in the washer.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Boilers are allowed in a bathroom as long as they are in a cupboard with doors.

Reply to
Bod

They don't explicitly. They did (until recently) forbid sockets - now they are permitted but only in very large rooms since they need to be 3m outside of zone 1.

That's usually the approach. However any appliance in a bathroom also needs to be "appropriate" for the installation location. Not all bathrooms are created equal. One that frequently gets wet from steam / spray would be less suitable than one that remains ostensibly dry.

Reply to
John Rumm

Seems a bit off a dirty idea to me, having it near a toilet. But I guess a shower is there too.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Won't these be the same washing machines that they fit in bathrooms across the rest of the EU?

The same apart from theirs having silly plugs on:-)

Reply to
ARW

AFAIK IP ratings do not apply to items outside of zone 2.

Reply to
ARW

If boilers are allowed in cupboards then washing machines can also , IMO. They both have control panels.

Reply to
Bod

You have a point as I was told this over Christmas.

Lou "Adam, don't you ever again take your clothes off in my kitchen, dump them on the floor and then walk naked past my me and parents[1] saying "the washer need putting on I'm going for a bath""

[1] I did not know her parents were there until I opened the living room door.
Reply to
ARW

Got yerself a young un have you?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Is there a pressure washer which Lou knows how to use? If yes, I think you were very lucky indeed not to have experienced a much more eye-watering response to your exhortation.

Reply to
Robin