Electricity in Bathrooms

I've just been told by a bathroom company, somewhat to my surprise, that current regs forbid washing machines in bathrooms.
I thought they were allowed assuming - outside Zone 2 - No socket, wired in - proper protection on the circuit.
Can someone confirm or deny this?
Andy
Vir Campestris wrote:

Since you have no other reply, I'll guess that it's because no-one has yet tested a washing machine for ingress protection.
It's an interesting question though. I hope someone has a more knowledgeable reply.
On 23/01/2017 10:38, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:

AFAIK IP ratings do not apply to items outside of zone 2.
--
Adam

Vir Campestris wrote:

From the horse's mouth:
http://electrical.theiet.org/wiring-matters/53/section-701/index.cfm
"Washing machines and tumble dryers may be installed in a bathroom provided they are:
* supplied from a switched fused flex outlet installed outside the zones (socket outlets are only allowed 3 m horizontally from the boundary of zone 1); * protected by a 30 mA RCD; * and permitted for such installation by the manufacturer."
It's the last one that's likely to give you trouble - unless the manufacturer says it's OK in a bathroom, then it's not allowed.
Mike
On Monday, 23 January 2017 14:01:13 UTC, Mike Humphrey wrote:

If the manufacturer *doesn't* say it's *not* suitable, then it's allowed?
Or does such permission have to be actively given?
Owain
On 23/01/2017 15:40, snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com wrote:

Won't these be the same washing machines that they fit in bathrooms across the rest of the EU?
The same apart from theirs having silly plugs on:-)
--
Adam

Actually their plugs have two good features: 1) They yank out of the socket instead of damaging the cord when you pull the hoover too far. 2) They don't tend to lie on the floor prongs up in the air ready for your bare foot.
--
Take notice: when this sign is under water, this road is impassable.

Yes. They'd last far better in some outside damp utility room.
I'd guess my kitchen has at least as 'unfriendly' atmospheric conditions as my bathroom. The tiles certainly need cleaning more frequently.
--
*How come you never hear about gruntled employees? *

If it's ok in a kitchen, it's ok in a bathroom. Both are equally damp and wet and steamy.
--
I learnt so much from my mistakes I think I'll make another.

James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

I have never lived in a house that has a damp, wet and steamy kitchen.

Splashing while filling pots from the sink is possible. Steam from pans and kettles is possible, Just like a bathroom.
--
The graduate with a science degree asks, "Why does it work?"
The graduate with an engineering degree asks, "How does it work?"

Ignore them and fit it yourself afterwards.
--
I learnt so much from my mistakes I think I'll make another.

When I first rented villas I was surprised to see washing machines in bathrooms - but if there is space it makes more sense than a kitchen. Pants down - in the washer.

Seems a bit off a dirty idea to me, having it near a toilet. But I guess a shower is there too.
--
Is it true that DNA stands for the National Dyslexia Association?

Some jurisdictions don't allow a washing machine in the kitchen, presumably in case you wash shitty nappys in there.
On Monday, 23 January 2017 20:51:49 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:

they consider washing powder to toxic for a kitchen.
NT

This only goes to show rules should be ignored.
--
Peter is listening to "DJ Splash - New life"

wrote

Even sillier than you usually manage.
Dishwasher powder is much more toxic and is legally fine in kitchens.
On Monday, 23 January 2017 21:29:24 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:

I didn't say I agreed with it

     snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes:

Many years ago, grandmother was staying at my parents' house (it was probably over Christmas). She decided to make a cake one afternoon. Fortunately, someone spotted her carefully measuing out 4oz of dishwasher detergent powder on the scales, before it went into the cake...
--
Andrew Gabriel