Electricity in Bathrooms

When I did this decades ago - and I think it may have changed - I was told that the metal chassis of the washing machine required to be separately earthed to the plumbing (as well as the electrical earth). No socket was allowed. It was wired into a fused connection unit (13 amps).

Reply to
Scott

Yeah, you should have put the washer on yourself.

(I mean the washing machine, not a c*ck ring)

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Reminds me of James Herriott's accounts (in the books, not the TV series) of how, after a particularly messy experience with a cow, he would strip off completely and have the farmer hose him down with cold water.

Made sure the locals talked about him in the pub when he wasn't there.

Reply to
newshound

"Particularly messy experience with a cow" is ambiguous.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Which of course never get wet in a kitchen....

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Oops, my shaver socket....

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Actually their plugs have two good features:

1) They yank out of the socket instead of damaging the cord when you pull the hoover too far. 2) They don't tend to lie on the floor prongs up in the air ready for your bare foot.
Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

You certainly would have had to have made the earth at the FCU part of the supplementary bonding. Supplementary bonding was introduced with the

15th edition in 1981 and initially the bonding was misinterpreted. See the 1st two pages of

ARW

It would not have needed separate earthing, but should it should have had the earth of the circuit feeding the device included into the supplementary equipotential bonding in the room.

That would limit the threat posed should the earth of the circuit in question itself become the conductive path through which a dangerous potential be introduced into your bath or shower room. (i.e. a fault elsewhere on the circuit making its earth "live", and that in turn making the casework of the WM live).

This is still the case where supplementary equipotential bonding is used. Note however that the 17th edition regs permit supplementary bonding to be omitted if certain criteria are met: That the main bonding at CU is present, and that all the circuits that present in the room are protected by an RCD with a trip threshold of no more than 30mA.

Reply to
John Rumm

This was in the UK?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If you allow for the general confusion that many seem to have with equipotential bonding, then the advice he received kind of makes sense.

People tend to over interpret the requirements, and often don't realise that the earth connection in the appliance flex can also function as the bonding conductor. Hence as long as the earth on the circuit is included in the equipotential zone then anything fed from it is also by default included.

Reply to
John Rumm

I have no idea how to use it.

Mine has a dial with numbers on it, open door, throw in tablet and clothes, turn dial to desired program, close door and then turn the machine on. Job done.

Her machine has an electronic display that needs a load of programming.

I did have a go at using it once - the clothes were on the wrong wash at the wrong time of the day with the wrong rinse setting.

Reply to
ARW

So it's a female washing machine.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

+1 - more or less...

Around a year ago, and a few minutes after being left to babysit the grandchildren, my grandson suddenly emptied the contents of his stomach over my trousers. It took nearly 10 minutes of fuffing around with the programmable washing machine and combined tumble drier to get it to start, and wash and dry the mess. With a dial it would have taken a few seconds. Progress, eh?...

Reply to
Jeff Layman

you needed to start a wash cycle off for these 1 pair of trousers, I'd have used brush or cloth, with soap or something so sort that out. I'd also be worried about sitting there in my undies looking after grandchildren you never know what people might be thinking if they saw you say through the window ...

Reply to
whisky-dave

I've always had machines with a simple dial. You can still get them.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Vomit is disgusting. Most people don't want to wash that by hand!

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

That's the first non nob-ended comment you've contributed for a long time...

New pills?

Reply to
Tim Watts

Ours has no dials, just push buttons.