OT: making files available when offline across desktop and mobile devices

I want to be able to share folders of files across different devices so that they sync when connected to a network but have the files available when offline and of, course, I'd rather not have to pay.

It seems that google drive will only do what I want on a file-by-file basis; the free version of Dropbox won't make files available offline. I've thought about evernote but can't find a definition of what it considers a note ... will it do what I want (file types are mostly pdf, txt and abc). Is there anything else I should look at?

[Some of the files relate to DIY, so there's a (tenuous) link.]
Reply to
nospam

syncthing does what you want I think.

Reply to
Chris Green

I'm not sure what you want. Surely any home network with files on other machines can be accessed from any machine. Indeed if the files are stored on a machine running xp there is no real problem as you can make stuff on it seeable from anywhere with no passwords at all. I do this all the time. If you are talalking dorpbox then although I've not tried it myself one can still use xp machines on that. However if you want cloud storage bigger then a certain limit surely you cannot expect it for nothing?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I think the OP wants *automatic* synchronisation that just happens when both machines are connected to the network, with no user interaction required at all.

Reply to
Chris Green

That's correct, in the same way that Evernote says it does for "notes" (I still don't know what they are defined as)

Reply to
nospam

The problem isn't storage size (the storage requirement is modest), it's automatically making files available across: PC/laptop/tablet/phone/whatever when without a data connection (having synchronised when data was available).

Reply to
nospam

... and syncthing (which I suggested originally) does this.

Reply to
Chris Green

I use the free version of Dropbox. All files are available offline on my PC and laptop. Only selected ones on my iPad and iPhone.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Yes, I've had a look at the site but got the feeling that it was still in early development ... I'll look again

Reply to
nospam

Unfortunately I have lots of small'ish files to sync to an Android device. The chargeable version allows folder sync so, if I can't find anything else, I may end up paying their monthly fee.

Reply to
nospam

I store certain folders within the Google Drive folder on my desktop. Those folders automatically sync to the cloud. So that half of what you want definitely works.

Is the problem with the Gdrive app on your android? Can it not be set to automatically sync with the cloud? You may need to start it up periodically to do that, though, rather than having it work in the background?

Reply to
GB

I've been using it to synchronise my desktop machine, a laptop and a remote virtual server for the last several months (maybe even a year now). I've had no serious issues with it, files have been kept synchronised. The only issues I have had have been to do with configuration (i.e. include/exclude lists) and the user interface (unwanted warning message).

Reply to
Chris Green

I've tried several bits of software now and, despite my initial doubts, evernote is very good and does what I want. The free version only syncs across 2 devices but I can live with that for the other features, it seems so good that I might even pay (shock!) if I need to use the other devices with it. I hope this helps someone else with a similar query.

Reply to
nospam