Parking Charge

Knickers to him then.

Reply to
Tim Streater

The delay did not harm you - indeed it delayed when you had to pay.

You still do not seem to realise that "upside down" is completely ambiguous.

From their POV if you turned up with the receipt only after you got the parking ticket they have no reason to be convinced that you had paid the parking fee, people often try to find a discarded ticket after they are caught. I realise this does not apply to you, but you have to look at it from their point of view.

You may win, but if you lose a court case it will be much more expensive, I strongly advise paying the 10GBP.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

I'm, not sure where all the c "Bought a ticket put it on my dashboard ..."

Therefore, for it to be a real issue (to the Parking Attendant) it would have to have been placed (as we later learned) 'face down', not simply 'upside down' re for reading by an attendant though say the windscreen. Even if it was both the right way up and not upside down it would still have been at 90 Deg if read though either side window or upside down when read though the rear window ... or sunroof when standing on the bonnet. ;-)

So, rick was fined because it was impossible for the attendant to be sure he had a valid ticket so even though obviously frustrating, was a valid outcome (IMHO).

In just the same way a new neighbour had all their bins left un-emptied by the dustman because whilst they had put the correct things in the recycling bins, they had just mixed them all up within each bin and therefore were considered 'contaminated'.

As an aside and as an example of what was considered to be a genuine parking mistake ... I got a parking ticket for not displaying a free ticket after they had changed a scheme that hadn't required a ticket previously. I noted (afterwards) that not only had they just updated the original 'Max say 1hr / no returns' sign to include the use of a ticket but had *themselves* added an additional A4 laminated sign tied to a lamp post because so many people had missed the fact that the information on the sign had changed! My local councilor took it up with the guy in charge of such matters and my fine was dropped. It turned out that later everyone who had been fined over the same period had their fines refunded (because they conceded their sineage was insufficient for the regular users to easily notice the change).

My point was ... as I had been parking there for over 40 years it wasn't 'reasonable' to expect me to read the small print on the sign every time I parked there to see if it had changed (so at worse a notice should have been left under my wiper highlighting the change of use on my first 'offence').

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

En el artículo , rick escribió:

Your mistake was interacting with them. You should have ignored it, and you wouldn't have heard anything more. By contacting them you acknowledged that you'd received the "charge" and were liable for it.

In your shoes I would keep schtum, ignore all letters and if they do take you to court (very, very unlikely) just produce the ticket as proof that you paid.

What's this got to do with DIY anyway? You've got uk.legal and uk.legal.moderated available.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Pay the £10. Face down is unreasonable on your part. Get over it

Reply to
Stuart Noble

It doesn't these days, but until a Supreme Court ruling in November

2015, it was generally held that private parking company penalty fees were not enforceable in law.
Reply to
Nightjar

On 26-Jan-17 11:04 PM, T i m wrote: ...

A car park I have been using for years allows three hours' free parking but does not have any provision to extend that by paying. It used to be regulated by placing a parking clock on the dashboard and having a parking warden going around checking them. Very recently, it was changed to ANPR and now the warden is going around putting notices on the windscreen of anybody still displaying the clock, telling them they no longer need to use the clocks. Completely unnecessary, but helpful.

Reply to
Nightjar

Totally different matter, indeed.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It is a passive aggressive hint that fiddling the clock will no longer work.

Reply to
Bob Eager

[23 lines snipped]

Tell them to f*ck off.

Reply to
Huge

It appears you may have placed the ticket face down and rendered it unreadable, in which case STFU and pay up.

Reply to
Huge

And that's the point (the helpfully bit) because I believe 'most people' what to do the right thing and would also like to think / hop that some discretion could come into it.

Like whilst I understand that if you have paid for an hours parking you only get an hours parking ... but if you gave 'some people' some leeway (say those running back to their cars and who obviously realise they may have overrun their time and apologising to the warden etc) there are always those who will take a mile when you give them an inch.

I know of a couple of people (I'll not call them friends) who think nothing of parking all over the place (inc disabled / parent & child bays) because they think their time is more important than following the rules and / or being a 'good citizen'. It's as if we (who generally play it by the book) are weak / stupid for doing so?

And we can all make mistakes. Daughter, pulling into an unknown to her mini supermarket drive ended up going in what was an exit but made a point of quickly getting out of the way by pulling into a space. A bloke came round, parked, came over and stuck his face in her van window going on about her trying to push in etc etc. He walked off but not being one to let such things go, she caught up with him and asked if he wouldn't mind hearing her side of what just went on. I think he was a bit taken aback that she had confronted 'him' so said 'ok' and actually listened. Once that she explained that it was just a mistake, that she had no intention of 'pushing in' and in fact was just trying to get out of everyone's way to minimise the impact of her mistake, he was ok.

The trouble is, he (and others) probably have to regularly put up with those who are and meaningfully trying to push in / take advantage of others (and partly why she wanted to set the record straight in her case etc).

It can take quite a bit of common sense, good judgemental and the right attitude to avoid the likes of road rage in today's traffic and seemingly 'anything goes' driving. eg, has someone just undertaken you to intentionally get in front of you or just done so to clear a junction etc.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

They'll probably have a photo of it being unreadable.

If it was face down, rather than upside down, then yes.

Reply to
Andy Burns

they always were

the judgment didn't change that

tim

Reply to
tim...

No it wasn't

It was an urban myth that they weren't enforceable in law

tim

Reply to
tim...

I have already confirmed elsewhere in thread, sorry if you missed it - it was face down ... A

Reply to
rick

I don't mind saying it - it was upside down facedown, back of ticket facing up not front of ticket

Reply to
rick

A tenner's not such a bad deal in the circumstances ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

No you haven't - this is the first time you've said "face down".

Reply to
Dave W

Then you're stuffed.

Reply to