Re: Parking in SW11

> I've got an exam soon in the SW11 area, just off York Road - does anyone

> > know of any good spots to park nearby? In the past, I usally park in > > supermarket car parks as they don't have a time limit - are there any > > such similiar offerings to be had in the SW11 area? > > There's a Homebase on the York Road at the Wandsworth end you might get > away with it at - it's not usually that busy in the week. But don't blame > me if... > > Alternately, you could park in Tooting Bec Common car park and take the > 249 which I *think* still goes to York Road - I can't think of any free > parking any closer. Leave at least 1/2 hour for that bus journey in rush > hour.

Thanks for the Homebase tip, that's an excellent idea. And its at the right end of York Road, so that's a bonus.

Does anyone know if its ok to park at Homebase (York Road SW11) for several hours during the week, perhaps even on a Sunday, or are there any signs that say differently?

Thanks again

Reply to
Scooby Doo

I'm pretty certain they all have a notice saying parking is restricted to say two hours and for customers only. The question is whether they enforce it. The big B&Q at Wandsworth Bridge close by had private traffic wardens for a time - the workers on the building site opposite were taking the p**s, as was the local Merc dealer.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

In message , Scooby Doo writes

I once left my car in the local 'Focus' car park for the day, and arrived back rather later than anticipated, to find Focus closed, and the car park locked :-(

Had to walk home, then walk back, the next day.

Reply to
Graeme

If all it says is it's for customers only, then find an old receipt to prove you have been a customer of theirs...unless it states it is for customers using the store today only, then it should be ok ;-) Or just go buy something really cheap, like some sweets from near the till!

Sparks... (Not a Lawyer!)

Reply to
Sparks

Something like this is an effective method in places like Waitrose, where at certain times of the day they make a charge for the car park via use of a barrier and a jobsworth unless one has spent at least £5 in the store.

If nothing is required that day, simply buy a gift voucher at the newspaper desk - no cost for the card and redeemable at face value.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Sweets from a Homebase? They'll be selling toys next. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman

They do.

There's a new word that has been coined by the retail marketeers - "instore". The supermarkets use it, and now the DIY sheds. Makes me puke.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

I wonder if you could then buy a new gift voucher the next day using the one you got the day before :-)

A fiver for endless parking wouldn't be bad!

Darren

Reply to
dmc

I have a feeling that you'd come back one day to find that something like a forklift truck had managed to create a new body shape for your car, and there were no witnesses.

Alternatively, perhaps they will make another one of those Peugeot 306 adverts and get an elephant to sit on it.

PoP

PoP

:-)

I can just imagine some odd conversations at customer service...

"A five pound gift voucher please" "Certainly Sir, that will be five pounds" "Can I use this gift voucher?"

Haven't seen that one - hardly seen an advert in the 18 months I have had a TiVo :)

Darren

Reply to
dmc

Just to explain (and I guess the advert must have worked!), an Indian guy drives his car into a brick wall, forward and reverse. Gets an elephant to sit on it. Wallops it with a hammer - you get the idea.

Then the scene changes where he's looking at an advert in a magazine for the Peugeot 306, cue shot of car that he's been working on taking the shape of the Peugeot 306.

It's a crap ad. You haven't missed anything.

PoP

PoP

Obviously not highly successful in getting it's message over either. It's for the 206 :-)

Reply to
G&M

Like many, it was ok the first half dozen times. Very few pieces of 'cinema' survive watching hundreds of them.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Especially when it sounds as though somebody is throwing up in the car towards the end.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

What's a Peeugeeott? ;-)

Oh! I remember now, it's one of those cars that can put out that stinky diesel exhaust that prompts me to switch off the heater motor :-)

Dave

Reply to
Dave

It obviously worked for you though ;)

PoP

PoP

In article , PoP writes

Oh I don't know, the smug self satisfied look on the guys face at the end is worth watching

Reply to
David