Domestic "noise" pollution

According to the local council:
"All DIY/Construction noise must be carried out during the hours of 8.00am to 5.00pm Monday to Friday and 9.00am till 1.00pm on Saturdays and none at all on Sundays."
The rules regarding construction noise would make sense for businesses such as builders, sparkies, plumbers and carpenters/joiners etc.
When pressed on the point of homeowners doing DIY at weekends and early evenings:
According to the council, wallpapering or painting can be done at *any* time, even through the night, but power tools must only be used during the times stated above.
That seems incongruent with DIY hobbyists who work a 9 to 5 Mon to Fri job, How are they supposed to carry out DIY with such restrictions?
Personally I would have thought till 7.00pm weekdays for noisy activities would have been OK and that all day on Saturday and Sundays from 9am to 5pm.
Incidentally, the use of lawnmowers in summer evenings is OK as no one has ever complained about a lawnmower in over 20 years!

How about those armies of "driveway pavers" that pollute for hundreds of yards with those soddin' angle grinders. Someone local had his entire back garden paved and it took 5 weeks, 08:00 to 17:00 ++ every day! It really ought to be illegal to make that much noise pollution - but hey, noise pollution is not real pollution, right!

The whole idea of set hours is rather academic in any case nowadays, with maybe more people having to work shifts.

The same sort of thing applies to "tree surgeons" who park their shredders in residential streets - often in the road backing onto the customers back garden, rather than the customers own road, and grind away for hours on end. Although for health and safety reasons its noticeable that most of them are at least supplied with ear defenders. Rather than taking the stuff away and grinding it down outside their own premises, one of their director's houses maybe, or on an industrial estate somewhere.
michael adams
On 7/24/2015 1:27 PM, michael adams wrote:

IME they can go through a large tree in relatively little time...

Not a very practical solution though is it...
You would be complaining about all the coming and going of lorries loading up branches instead then!
--
Cheers,

John.

There we'll have to agree to differ on that one then. IME it can take a whole day to take down a large tree, saw up the branches and the trunk, carry it all through to the road and put the former through the chipper. That's 8 hours of otherwise avoidable noise which can be heard streets away in all directions.

Not really. Throwing branches onto the backs of a succession of lorries makes far less noise than feeding them into a shredder which can be heard four or five streets away in all directions.
Although its obviously much cheaper for the operators to use the chipper.
michael adams

wrote

Of course it didn't. They just chop them off at the bottom and the worst that can happen is the odd crushed kangaroo.
You silly boy !
michael adams

wrote

They don’t do anything like that.

Chainsaws cut branches in 4-6 ft lengths in the open air.
Chippers and shredders cut branches in 1/2 inch lengths inside an enclosed chute which amplifies the noise So thats a minimum of 96 times as many cuts, which are possibly twice as loud as a result of the ampification which makes 192 times as much noise.
HTH
michael adams

Bullshit. They cut off entire branches and feed the whole branch into the shredder.

They do nothing of the sort.

Even sillier and more pig ignorant than you usually manage.

Even sillier and more pig ignorant than you usually manage.

Even sillier and more pig ignorant than you usually manage.

Even sillier and more pig ignorant than you usually manage.
On 7/24/2015 7:58 PM, michael adams wrote:

Well I had a *very* large black poplar tree taken down last year... it probably took five hours in total to take it down (since it was close to another house - the bits had to be roped down rather than dropped). My neighbour (a tree surgeon) drove his chipper[1] into the garden so there was not far to carry the stuff. Total time spent actually chipping was probably less than an hour in total. The noise was probably less intrusive than that of the chainsaws.
[1] A fairly serious affair, that he forked out about £26K for. It will shred a 12' long branch in three or four seconds.

Can't say I found it an issue personally.
--
Cheers,

John.
On Monday, July 27, 2015 at 3:17:11 AM UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:

dders

ar

side

ding up branches

========================================\

========================================/
About 15 years ago we had a copse of about 140 Poplars which had got to abo ut 50ft high. I though them too close to the house so we had them removed. Took less than a day. They asked if I wanted the chippings for compost so I got a large pile left. They removed most of the trunks in 8ft lengths whic h led me to believe they had a commercial value, though they denied that.

Its just not practical to chip those.
On Monday, 27 July 2015 10:37:42 UTC+1, fred wrote:

redders

ll

ear

utside

oading up branches

=========================================\

=========================================/

bout 50ft high. I though them too close to the house so we had them removed . Took less than a day. They asked if I wanted the chippings for compost so I got a large pile left. They removed most of the trunks in 8ft lengths wh ich led me to believe they had a commercial value, though they denied that.
They go to companies supplying wood burner fuel. Dunno if they have actual value or not. Certainly that'a what happened to my neighbour's trees
On Friday, 24 July 2015 12:29:17 UTC+1, Stephen wrote:

Does the blender I used to mix up the wallpaper paste last night count as a power tool?
I couldn't see any other way of getting the lumps out.
Owain

Corse it does and you will be publicly tarred and feathered because you did that.

No excuse.
Stephen wrote:

I was talking to a bloke who said you're not even allowed to work on your car where he lives - not even change the coolant or oil. He reckons one of the neighbours would report you if you tried. And this is in England.

I once heard the story of a new town in Florida - called Celebration. It had firm rules about grass height, no vans on drieways, no washing on lines outside permitted times, etc. There was a rush of people to buy properties because they had previously had their living environment blighted by those who want to create a shanty town.

And no dissing Mickey Mouse
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celebration,_Florida
michael adams
There was a rush of people to buy properties

On 24/07/2015 13:15, Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:

I am aware of notices being given to Housing Association tenants, where some were working on cars in what was close to a business.

You're not allowed to do any work on a car on the street - and in theory, that would include washing it. If you rent a property, the landlord might also reasonably ban it too on the driveway, etc due to the likely mess.
But neighbours can't stop you doing this on your own property. Unless doing so as a business. Or noise etc - same as anything else.
--
*Vegetarians taste great*