PAR 38 lamps mains voltage question.

Is the highest wattage for these 120W? I have found some at 150W but 24v. TLC do a 120 led version, is this likely to give more light that a 120W incandescent? I suspect not.

The fitting is a period piece built without a reflector. I don't want to change the fitting but ideally could do with 150-200W lamp. Is there any alternative to par38? Needs to be instant-on so a discharge lamp is not suitable. BTW, white not coloured.

Many thanks, Nick.

Reply to
Nick

150w is a standard PAR38 wattage, although 120 has become more popular now. I can't remember where I last saw 150s, but they are around.

LEDS can't compete with filaments on output due to thermal issues.

Most PAR38 luminaires will take basic GLS bulbs and work well enough. Some need to be painted white on the inside so the light isnt lost. GLS bulbs are available in 150w and 200w. Lightweight reflector bulbs also come in 275w - though I doubt the 275s would fit.

If you really need to max it out, then if the lampholder is ceramic and the wiring high temp insulated, and the lightbulb shrounded by the fitting, then its time to make up an ES to linear halogen adaptor. That will get you to a sizzling 500w if th fitting and whatever its mounted to can take it - but do check the wiring's upto it first, beware of any plastic parts melting, and pick a halogen fitting with a glass front.

Or more sensibly, install another light as well. It could be a hidden one.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

PAR38 tend to be used where they get splashed, and they are hard glass to prevent cracking when that happens (GLS aren't). Also, GLS probably won't make a waterproof seal with the lamp holder.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Other thing is PAR38s seem remarkably long lived compared to other filament lamps. I suspect their efficiency is pretty good too - compared to other reflectors.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Sure, in that application you wouldnt use gls. 38s also get used for more frivolous reasons.

typically 1500hr lamps, which affects efficacy.

NT

Reply to
meow2222