I am planning to install ELVL in my new house. I haven't moved in yet to
some preliminary questions here to get my started. Please note that I am an
absolute beginner so apologies in advance for that. A lot of these are just
yes/no answers I think...
1. In regard to lamp and transformer wattage, as I understand it if I plan
to have four 25 watt lamps (for example) I will need a 100 watt transformer
or four 25 watt transformers. Does this sound correct?
2. However, if I have as in the last question four 25 watt lamps (total of
100 watts), what would happen if my transformer was lets say 150 watt? Would
this cause any damage to the lamps or cause them to blow more quickly? I
suppose the question here is what would happen if I supplied more watts that
absolutely required. Is "over-wattage" a problem or is "over-voltage" what
causes the lamps to blow more quickly?
3. What would happen if I fitted say four 30 watt lamps (total requirement
of 120 watts) but my transformer was only say 100 watts? I guess that this
would put excess load on the transformer and overheat it, so this is not
In terms of wiring, I've done some basic investigation but have the
4. I'm not sure at this stage if the light fitting that I plan to replace
has the lighting ring main going direct to a junction box and then to a
ceiling rose or the ring is wired directly into a ceiling rose. If the
latter I imagine that I will need to replace the ceiling rose with a
junction box. Is this correct?
5. After that has been done can I wire my transformer directly to what is
the feed for the actual luminaire?
6. If I decide to have one transformer for each light fixture, how can I
wire in four transformers? Is it acceptable to terminate the feed to the
luminaire into a junction box and then wire the four transformers from this?
Or do I need to have each transformer on a separate junction box?
7. If I decide to have a one transformer configuration, is it acceptable to
terminate the output from this into a junction box and then feed all four of
my lights from that single junction box?
8. If question 7 above is correct what sort of cable do I need to do this?
Do I need different cable between the transformer and the junction box than
I the need for each light fixture?
9. If this installation is to go into a bathroom, does the fact that this is
a low voltage installation mean that a specially IP rated fixture is
required for over the shower area (zone 2) or is it safe to install low
voltage lighting in zone 2?
Thanks in advance for any help received.