Pan connector variants

Hi there

My loo has developed a leak in the joint between the pipe from the cistern (not close coupled) and the pan, possibly because the pipe doesn't look to be going into the pan exactly square. I'm going to replace the joint and straighten up the pipe but I'm not sure of the name of the part I'm after. I had a look in B&Q and they sold something that looks about right - a clear, soft plastic connector with 3 or 4 ribs that takes a 38mm pipe and pushes into a 2.5"ish hole - but only had versions labelled as "internal". An adjacent empty box had a label suggesting there are also "external" versions. What's the difference? Are there any other variations in pan connectors?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Reply to
Mark

That's it. They are polythene and I've had trouble getting them to seal. In the old days they were rubber and just pushed in and sealed (some types had a "lip" that folded round a boss on the pan). I've found I need to use silicone because the "hole" isn't very smooth, the ribs are too stiff and don't conform well enough, it can be difficult to get good alignment, and they see some water pressure and movement during flushing. If you don't use a sealant they can be OK at first but gradually work themselves out one rib at a time. I've looked for rubber ones without success.

Reply to
Newshound

If you know the manufacturer of your loo try phoning them for the exact part ... sometimes they might send it for free. At least they'll have the right terminologoy.

Alternativley you could consider a silicone or mait seal?

HTH.

Alex.

Reply to
AlexW

external version is as it says - like a cup it fits outside the porcelain spigot of the bog and has same 38mmhole for the pipe. I'd buy both and see which fits best.

Reply to
jacob

Thanks for all the replies. As it seems there are just internal and external flavours I'll have a go with both. I'd call the loo manufacturer but the pan's 21 years old and in a house I'm letting out so I won't see it again until I go over to fix it!

Cheers,

Mark

Reply to
Mark

Is there any reason why you can't fit both at the same time for a belt-and-braces approach?

Reply to
Set Square